Login / Sign up
> > > New item search and more!

Messages in topic: New item search and more!
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11388
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 4/9/13, 6:10 AM

This week Magelo turns 12... Yes you read that right, 12 years that we are serving the Everquest community! For the occasion, we wanted to bring you a new version of our Items search, more powerful and easy to use, as well as other new features and improvements.

New item search

The Items section point directly to the new search now.

So the first step to use efficiently the Item search is to select a category using the new navigation system, also known as "breadcrumb", accessible at the top left of any item page. This breadcrumb lets you browse quickly the different item categories and sub-categories (One handed weapons, Augmentations, Shields, ...).

Then, a quick form helps you build basic search such as:
All shields equippable by a barbarian warrior
All shields equippable by a level 90 barbarian warrior
All augmentations equippable by a level 80 wizard and that can fit in a wrist item

Premium members can go even further adding filters to shape their search and weights to score them. All item flags and stats are available as filters and you can create some best in slot lists easily with weights.

Few examples:
Augments usable by warrior, type 7, that have both heroic dexterity and AC, sorted in descending order by amount of heroic dexterity
Armors, you can buy, that have both clairvoyance and heal amount, sorted in descending order by clairvoyance
Bows having an augment slot type 8 with heroic dex and agi sorted by their dps then their heroic dex and agi
Chest armors with a minimum purity of 70, that have both mana and mana regen
Augments usable by ranger using the following weights: 5 for ac, 1 for hp and 0.2 for mana

Some quick filters allow you to access the results split by class, slot and item category.

Finally you can share easily your item search with your friends thanks to a new friendly url.

Other new features and improvements
  • New item list for vendors and npc drops with quick class/slot/category filters, example: Armorer Jean Wenlaris
  • New dual tooltip for recipes with produced item on the side of the recipe and ingredients listed one at a time with their icons, example: Illustrious Vicious Symbol of Below
  • Recipes are now ordered by their trivial level by default
  • Fixed missing alt currency icons
  • Fixed class spells / missing spells to filter out spells which are only components of other spells
  • Cleaned bogus items, recipes and npcs (yes bunnies, I am looking at you...)

We hope you will enjoy those recent improvements! As always, we are waiting for your feedback and suggestions in the forum.

Magelo turns 12 this week and this is not nothing... we are really proud and thankful. Your support has always been the only ingredient we need to stay around. So thank to all our members who decided at what time or another to get premium. We wish to continue this amazing adventure with you for a very long time!
Tobynn

Nbr post: 35
Register: 11/11/01
Posted: 4/11/13, 3:16 AM

I don't find any means to traverse the Items hierarchy. Sure, I can start with a search for some random item for which I already know the item name – that provides me the breadcrumbs. If I want to search for containers, I must start that search with a known container. If I want to search for 1HS weapons, I must start that search with a known 1HS weapon.

Consider adding a means to traverse the Items database without needing a breadcrumb trail as the starting point. Perhaps a dropdown list or similar.

Still, GREAT search features – the filters and weights are killer.

Jelan
Admin

Posted: 4/11/13, 5:59 AM

Hi Tobynn,

At any given level in the breadcrumb, if there are some sub levels, you will have something like > ...
Just mouseover the ... and a menu with the sub level categories will appear, just navigate and pick the item category you want

Edit:I also added a screenshot of the breadcrumb directly in the news!
Tobynn

Posted: 4/11/13, 10:51 AM

Aha! Its a browser thing, I should have checked that before posting. I use Firefox20, and the mouseovers do not appear. I loaded up IE9 and now I see the mouseovers work fine there. I have Magelo whitelisted within add-ons such as NoScript and Flashblock, so that's not an issue.

Edit: Cleared Firefox's Cache and Cookies and now mouseovers work fine. Nevermind

Extremely nice feature!

Terminat

Nbr post: 57
Register: 8/21/02
Posted: 4/19/13, 9:28 PM

Any chance the old item search tool is still available? I don't find this one easier to use at all. The previous search tool was great for quickly finding items and sorting by stat within a couple of clicks. Although I might like it more if I could get it to work as described. I tried using Firefox, Chrome and Safari, I don't see any mouse overs for the "breadcrumbs" after clearing my cache/cookies.

"Thanks for being completely stupid and owned" - FS Legend
Terminat

Nbr post: 57
Register: 8/21/02
Posted: 4/21/13, 12:07 PM

This new item search is a downgrade in functionality. I can't get any useful results from this tool. Any chance at getting the old search tool back?

"Thanks for being completely stupid and owned" - FS Legend
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 4/22/13, 12:01 AM

Hi Terminat,

Breadcrumb should be back, was an issue on our side, so you should see it now as soon as you refresh the page. As for the new search, give it a little time, it is always difficult at first to change the way we do one thing, not necessarily because the new way is worse, just because it is different..
Tobynn

Posted: 4/27/13, 11:21 PM

I don't quite understand how item scores are being calculated. Is there a range of values permissible for use in assigning weight, so the weight values I have entered are being perhaps truncated? The displayed Score does not reflect the weights I have assigned. See image. For example, using the weights I have assigned, the first belt on the list (Sash of Mystic Rites) should calculate a score of 37724. I don't understand where that displayed score of 110.628 is coming from.

Jelan
Admin

Posted: 4/29/13, 3:40 AM

Hi Tobynn,

We use a weighted average to compute the score of items, so basically we divide 37724 by the sum of your scores (like how grades are usually calculated).