Login / Sign up
> > > New Characters Ranking

Messages in topic: New Characters Ranking
loulina
Admin

Nbr post: 4235
Register: 2/8/06
Posted: 9/15/14, 6:17 AM

A brand new Characters Ranking is now available! We fixed few bugs and implemented new features to make this tool more powerful and easy to use.
  • The Ranking is by default now ordered by Achievement score.
  • Private profiles are no longer displayed.
  • There is no difference anymore between statistics in your profile and statistics in the Ranking.
  • You can now rank people within a given guild.
  • You can add filters to shape your search and weights to score them. All statistics are now available as filters and you can create some advanced class ranking with weights.
  • The new Ranking is fast and real time. As soon as you sync, the Ranking is updated.
  • You can share easily your results with your friends thanks to a new friendly URL.
  • The Ranking is now accessible from the Tools section of the website.

A list of players looking for a guild is also now easily accessible through the Ranking. So if you are looking for a guild, don’t hesitate to fill the quick form in your character management page to help guilds find you!

Few examples of what you can do with the new Ranking:
Druid ranked by Mana and then by HP (same as the old system)
Cleric ranking with approximate weights
Warrior main statistics review in Enceladus guild

The next step would be to come up with some weights for each class to create proper class ranking out of the box. We need your help to get this done properly so don’t be shy and let us know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your comment!
Byratan

Nbr post: 58
Register: 2/12/09
Posted: 9/15/14, 8:09 AM

In a one-on-one, it's simiple but what breaks ties (assumed secondary), name, date archived, other?

When using more than one how does one equalize different categories, percentage of each (against the top recorded number, higher arbritrary?) with a weighted system thrown on top?

Once the basics are covered it gets easier...maybe...
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11388
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 9/15/14, 8:49 AM

Hi Byratan,

If you are using only a single filter/weight, right now it's not deterministic what breaks the ties, i will fix this to be the name.

When you use more than one weight which is in the end the idea, you indeed need to normalize the weights somewhat. People do it differently, usually it's a matter of scaling back the big stats (mainly hp/mana) by dividing their weights by a multiple of 10. But you can of course choose to multiply the others.. same thing in the end.

It does take some time and refinement to find the right balance and practice does make it easier.
Ebonylight

Nbr post: 5
Register: 11/28/01
Posted: 9/15/14, 1:54 PM

Overall I think this is a pretty cool revamp especially the achievement listing. I do miss the preset searches for classes that were originally listed and the less bulky listing of names. Great work guys!
Bandeko
Premium User

Nbr post: 4
Register: 12/13/01
Posted: 9/15/14, 4:38 PM

Great new features there, thank you!

But....I'm not quite convinced that the Guild box is working yet as you intended or I'm doing something hideously wrong. Entering any known guild name results in no records being returned.
Myzr
Premium User

Nbr post: 6
Register: 10/2/01
Posted: 9/15/14, 10:26 PM

after being in vent on 2 servers today there is 50ish people that do not like the new system - having new ways rank is fine but could you go back to the old system of changing it perhaps - a lot of people had no clue how to rank people again and a lot did not seem to care about achievements - I would hate to see you guys loose out on business over this

Snowman a DC5AB Spiritwatcher
OTG

Nbr post: 1
Register: 9/24/13
Posted: 9/15/14, 10:56 PM

new style sucks.
halfpastseven

Nbr post: 9
Register: 2/14/13
Posted: 9/16/14, 3:17 AM

New format sucks.. i dont want to scroll through and filter and weigh things or sort by a guild that i have to type in every time i pop in to see which warrior has the most HP/ AC.. i want to have AC hp endurance/mana everything that i can just click and sort. you did this with item search and it sucked , now you do it to the one thing that this site was useful for.

http://eq.magelo.com/ranking.jspa version is much better, just add the achievement rankings in and its good to go -

you also dont have AAs or TAAs in any drop down w/ new versions –

Jelan wrote:
"It does take some time and refinement to find the right balance and practice does make it easier."

I don't have a subscription to Magelo to 'practice' anything or to 'balance' crap... I pay you so I can access features quickly. Not be on here all day clicking 6 pull down menus to give me what you used to have.
Seyba

Register: 7/13/09
Posted: 9/16/14, 6:38 AM

Sorting by achievement points is neat, but I don't understand why you would make that the default instead of the primary and secondary characteristics for each class. Like for warriors, AC and HP. For wizards, heroic intelligence and spell damage.

Revert back to that please.
hazimil

Nbr post: 33
Register: 3/10/02
Posted: 9/16/14, 3:24 PM

It's a nice feature to be able to sort now by achievements. Will we be able soon to have our achievement total available on our signatures?

Haz!

Hazimil Skelyd
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/127491
scottlems

Register: 7/13/12
Posted: 9/16/14, 8:54 PM

i'm canceling my membership.
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 9/17/14, 1:03 AM

Hi Ebonylight,

Thanks for the feedback, we have reworked the listing to put the guild name on the same line as the character so the listing feels less bulky and is easier to read.

Hi Bandeko,

Spot on the guild name search, it was broken and it is now fixed. Thanks for reporting this.

Hi Myzr,

Our plan was always to come up with class presets but our thinking was to first introduce the new system, let the community get used to it and build together some presets. Looks like people are impatient so presets are back using only the filters right now (Same as before).

Hi OTG, thanks a lot for this very constructive feedback !

Hi halfpastseven,

With the presets being in place now, you have exactly the same number of actions to do ranking as before and the results are instant. And if you want to take it further, you also can. We somehow missed the AA in the list, I will fixed that very soon. The guild search is new, it's not something you could do before and browser bookmark is your friend so you dont have to retype/remake your custom rankings all the time...

Hi Seyba,

We choose to use the achievement score by default because if there is no class filter, that's pretty much the only criteria (with the AAs maybe) that can be used across all characters no matter of their class.

Hi hazimil,

Yes, signatures will soon be able to show any stats that we have in the new ranking. Stay tuned.
halfpastseven

Posted: 9/17/14, 8:26 AM

Thank you for the responses

noted items post reply>

Please make 'Name' tab sort-able once again

When clicking a statistic sort tab - request that highest be displayed upon clicking (descending) vs lowest being the default (ascending)

as well not all characters in a guild are appearing when using the guild look up at this time.
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 9/17/14, 10:53 AM

Hi halfpastseven,

Thanks for your feedback.
  1. Name is not sortable anymore because it does not make sense, what kind of ranking do you get when you sort by name ? If you want to lookup someone, use the quick search
  2. By default, stats are always displayed from higher to lower so it's kinda logical that when you click on it, it would do ascending first otherwise you would click and nothing would happen...
  3. Only characters that are not private and that have been updated recently will show in the ranking, using guild lookup or not.
halfpastseven

Posted: 9/17/14, 4:43 PM

Well I honestly don't just post things for the sake of posting them as they have merit.

1. Reason name sort makes sense because - again - we are making this simple for the end user and not you. people use the ranking for more then just looking at the ranks of heroic charisma believe it or not. you want this ranking to do more then last ranking? previous ranking sorted names, so now its doing less. make it sort the names. It doesnt need to be a default when you click ranking, but an option to click on the Name tab and have it bring up an alphabetical listing.
  • and for just trying it (assuming the lower web bar thingy) that doesn't work > and having to go back to the main page to view a single profile doesn't make sense either - we are creating time for the end user (me) - I'm not looking to go page to page looking for something I can just sort through and see it and all the 'easy to use ' filters which i maybe looking at already. as well say there's a player named Poiszieisahdf I played with lastnight in my drunken raid mode, and all i remember is poison - I do a quick search and nothing is there... i do a search for "Pois" and I'm limited to 30 player results in the 'quick search'. I do a name sort in rankings, and OMG there he is.

2. again I really am trying to give constructive ideas or there's something wrong which is why I'm saying it. I put 2 filters HP and AC - hit search- I get results. Its in order by HP highest to lowest awesome... now I click the AC tab to sort by AC expecting it would list highest AC first it doesn't... its the lowest first.

3. again I really am trying to give constructive ideas or there's something wrong which is why I'm saying it. I updated my profile 9/14 and its not in the ranking for my guild lookup yet there are profiles updated from July showing up. of our 5 raid rogues, 1 is showing up.

Lastly- I really am trying to give constructive ideas or there's something wrong which is why I'm saying it. I'm an end user - who uses this site often and frequently. I have a subscription until next April because I was suckered into your great year pricing rates. if it was ending this month, I would most likely just cancel it because I now hate the main reason I utilize this site. I'm not the only user that's thinking this stuff, I just have time to beable to rant about it and I'm trying to make it better so that we have a place to better view and access this information and you still have people wanting to subscribe for this and other features in the future and after their free trials.