Login / Sign up
> > > New EQ Expansion

Messages in topic: New EQ Expansion
Dramaque Lostlore

Nbr post: 1
Register: 8/22/02
Posted: 2/15/07, 1:15 PM

I was wondering when Magelo Update was going to work with the new EQ expansion.
Bhah

Nbr post: 3
Register: 1/12/02
Posted: 2/15/07, 2:15 PM

Adding my voice to this. The reason I let my account expire years ago was because of the constant inability to use the updater. I recently subscribed again as a premium member, and now it's broken again. I'm not going to be as impatient as this, really – I understand the need to re-code, and I appreciate the work you're doing, but some sort of estimated time of repair would be nice.
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 2/15/07, 2:28 PM

We've stopped giving ETA's long ago, because they had a habit to be missed - and then people would be all riled up. So we have moved on to "it's done when it's done". Normally, a patch to EverQuest is fixed into Magelo Update within hours, or at most a few days. A new expansion however requires some more work to figure out all the new changes, which have to be programmed into the Updater once they've been figured out. Depending on how big an impact such an expansion has, downtime can vary between days and weeks.

The only thing we can ask you is to be patient while work is being done. While I realise that synchronising is the key element of the Update program, other Premium features are still available.
pizzicato

Nbr post: 68
Register: 8/17/02
Posted: 2/18/07, 7:58 AM

Expect it to take a while considering the changes with the new Energaic armour and powersources,,,
Yaxa

Nbr post: 176
Register: 11/25/01
Posted: 2/18/07, 12:04 PM

Actually, that shouldn't be much of a problem since power sources just cause invisible augs to be placed into the respective armor pieces. The only problem is deciding whether to show powered stats or not, since power sources are expendable and thus should probably be treated like tribute.

Yaxa Brightmoon
Arch Arcanist of Maelin Starpyre
swimmorelaps

Nbr post: 4
Register: 4/3/06
Posted: 2/18/07, 1:46 PM

I think it would be keen of you just by setting a floating update time. I mean just pick a time when you think you can get all the kinks worked out, If you can't just set another date on when you can. I just like to know when i can be expecting it. When you make it just say, this is not in by any means correct; we have just picked a date in which we think we can get the updated accomplished.
Gary5546

Nbr post: 38
Register: 3/25/02
Posted: 2/18/07, 4:51 PM

"other premium features are still available" ??

I purchased the premium mainly for the ability to create an authentic profile. At this point we can't even update our profiles manually, as none of the new items from TBS are included in the data base.
So essentially all of our profiles are going to be incomplete until such time as the site is updated.

SOE is offering a 50% experience bonus to all of it's customers this weekend due to the inconvenience of all of the patches and updates associated with the TBS expansion release.
How about some time added to our premium accounts as a result of the delays asssociated with getting this site up to speed?

moklianne

Nbr post: 127
Register: 8/25/02
Posted: 2/18/07, 5:12 PM

On a similar note....how about charging all of the premium members for a full year of uptime of the autosync, not a fixed 12 months? After all, the vast majority of everyone is paying strictly for the autosync.

Moklianne -Magelo
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 2/19/07, 5:38 AM

A floating update time is also known as an ETA; an Estimated Time of Arrival. Initially we used to give those out to the public so they could have an idea of when it would be available again. However, they tended to get missed and as soon as we missed it by a minute or more, we would get tons of angry posts and claims and whatmore. Due to the negative feedback on giving ETA's, we stopped giving them out and instead now say "when it's done".

The availability of Magelo Update is considered in the Terms of use (which can also be accessed at the bottom of the page). In particular, we do not guarantee an uninterrupted service - the main reason being that we are depending on 3rd party software (in this case: EverQuest as released by Sony Online Entertainment) to provide our own software. Downtime of the Magelo Update program is to be expected on a regular basis because of that. You agreed to these terms of use when you signed up for Premium.

I am no Admin, so I cannot give you anything, but only point you to the fact that Jelan extended the Premium service of people for several weeks (almost 2 months) last year when this site was released.
swimmorelaps

Nbr post: 4
Register: 4/3/06
Posted: 2/20/07, 1:06 AM

well. if you miss it by minutes, then set your clock back like a half hour or something like that. its better to have a ETA thats slightly later than being rushed and missing your ETA.

just my two cp.
Yaxa

Nbr post: 176
Register: 11/25/01
Posted: 2/20/07, 12:51 PM

Try missing it by two years (new site). No, Magelo ETAs are pointless, sorry

Yaxa Brightmoon
Arch Arcanist of Maelin Starpyre
Canderous

Nbr post: 12
Register: 11/17/05
Posted: 2/21/07, 4:48 PM

Maurice, i understand what you are saying about ETA's being missed. but couldn't this be easily avoided by setting a realistic one, and not forcing yourselves to rush to a deadline? what i mean is, find out how much work must be done, estimate how much time it will take to do, and then set the ETA a day or 2 later. this way you give yourself plenty of time to do the work and if you get done sooner, the customers will be happier.

i dont know how updating works or anything, so i am not sure if you can "estimate how much time it will take", but im just throwing it out there.

Gary5546

Nbr post: 38
Register: 3/25/02
Posted: 2/21/07, 9:15 PM

Well, according to the main page and Ishaar's post on 2/19/07, the site was supposed to be updated and running yesterday (2/20/07). I guess that is what Maurice was referring to when explaining why they don't like to give dates when things will be completed......

Canderous

Nbr post: 12
Register: 11/17/05
Posted: 2/22/07, 1:09 AM

exactly, so why set such tight deadlines?

paulorr

Nbr post: 92
Register: 3/8/05
Posted: 2/22/07, 1:47 AM

i expedct due to the patch on teh 21st they thought what is the point of updating it just to have to update it again 1 day later