Login / Sign up
> > > Jelan

Messages in topic: Jelan
rklein

Nbr post: 3
Register: 4/3/09
Posted: 3/18/18, 3:05 PM

Hey Jelan, I read thru the posts here and I see where you said you have a day job. However, you are running a paid service here. You are doing everyone here a disservice by not maintaining your product in a timely manner.

The Everquest clients were patched on 3/14/18 and it is now 3/18/18. It should not take you 4 days to figure this stuff out. 1-2 days I can understand but 4 days is somewhat unacceptable.

I can't in good conscious drop $50 on a year when you have so many outages.

Here's my suggestion: Offer a flat monthly rate with the option of pausing our billing once we see the magelo sync isn't working. I believe this will reduce a lot of headaches for both ends.

Also, adding option for up to 12 characters would be nice. 6 included with base subscription with an option to add another 6. $4.99 a month for 6 characters + 2.99 for another 6.

This would be easier on budgets and you might more money.

With all that said, I'd be more forgiving if I activated my account for $8 a month then found the sync not working.
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11375
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 3/20/18, 4:10 AM

Hi rklein,

I am maintaining Magelo in a timely manner most of the time... And for the times where things get a little bit our of control, I always compensate all our premium users with extra days so you effectively don't lose anything...
Byren

Nbr post: 20
Register: 9/30/04
Posted: 3/21/18, 8:31 AM

The Everquest clients were patched on 3/14/18 and it is now 3/18/18. It should not take you 4 days to figure this stuff out. 1-2 days I can understand but 4 days is somewhat unacceptable.

I am also enrolled in Allakhazam's premium services and have been since 2006.

The problem, I believe, is that when DBG (was SOE) updates the game, they change the locations and type of information passed back and forth. But I seriously doubt that Jelan here, or the programmers for EQIC are given exactly what was changed/updated/adjusted in the main executables and/or network streaming protocols. As such, locating the new positions and deciphering the changed protocols can be time intensive/consuming.

EQIC has also had trouble getting updates out sometimes for days/weeks. Reverse engineering is an under-appreciated art. I have always known Jelan to extend your subscription for the time between when the game was updated and his program can be repatched properly.

Even those on a budget can pay the annual quite easily. For example, with the additional game slots, my annual subscription cost is around $52 (rounded up). Take that $52 divided by 12 months is $4.34 a month or since most people get paid every 2 weeks: $52 / 26 (52 weeks per year divide by 2) is $2.00 every 2 weeks you need to save.

Every cost that I pay annually in a lump sum (insurance, subscriptions), I calculate what it costs per month and put that in the safe/coffe can so that I DON'T have to scramble to cover the payment due. I also like buying the premium EQ expansion, so I set aside $13.00 each month (I am retired and get paid monthly) for each account I want to splurge on. and $5 per month for the regular expansion accounts.