Login / Sign up
> > > Items Search revamped?

Messages in topic: Items Search revamped?
halfpastseven

Nbr post: 9
Register: 2/14/13
Posted: 4/7/13, 12:22 PM

early last week the item search became ugly and now i cant easily find and filter/sort items- the main reason i have a memebership- dont know if this is an issue for anyone else , but doesnt have the classes search page that it used to go to w/ new items list and all and then could click advanced search- so something up? http://eq.magelo.com/items comes up now-

so found out that site i was looking for was http://eq.magelo.com/items.jspa - but the above was what was coming up for me when i clicked items on the EQ home screen - dont know if its an internal script error- thanks
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11406
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 4/7/13, 2:39 PM

Hi halfpastseven,

The items section links directly to our new item search that we have yet to announce.. A news will be published in a few hours with a quick getting started and some examples.

This new item search should be a vast improvement over the previous iteration in many many ways. What were you looking for ?
halfpastseven

Posted: 4/8/13, 2:16 PM

The items page above ( /items.jspa) is wonderful in my opinion and i can find anything I'm looking for no problem- when I started my subscription a month ago that was the page that linked through the items tab to the left, but last week started to just go to ( /items) - I found the 'good' link once again so I'm happy once more. There is a newer item search that is being published then the http://eq.magelo.com/items.jspa
?

more specifically http://eq.magelo.com/advanced_search.jspa is what i was failing to find and love.
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 4/8/13, 3:08 PM

Could you please let me know what kind of search feature you appreciate and use in the old search ?

The reason I am asking is that the new search should be able to better answer your needs and the old search will most likely become unavailable in the future but not before we are able to make sure that the new search is fulfilling your needs.

Have you give the new item search a try by the way ?

halfpastseven

Posted: 4/8/13, 8:37 PM

I'm confused as to which the new search is and which is the old one is - could you please make a few links to each so I could give a proper opinion?
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 4/9/13, 6:13 AM

No worry, hopefully now that we made the announcement on the new advanced item search, things will be a lot easier to understand. So what you see featured on the homepage is the new item search. The old one is http://eq.magelo.com/advanced_search.jspa which is still accessible at the moment but not linked anymore from the website.
halfpastseven

Posted: 4/9/13, 10:18 AM

Well to be honest, I feel the new search is terrible compared to the old advanced search - I liked having all the filters view able on sight instead of having to scroll and find everything. I just tried to do a search in the new search to find "rogue, primary, pierce, level95 or less, sorted by dmg/delay" with the old adv search - was simple and got the results in no time, now, i have to add filters, some which don't even exist (pierce weapons only) and it doesn't give general stats along with the search results- i liked that in the old adv search i could look up dropable (tradeable) items sorted by AC but also see the hp automatically beside it. Also the option for premium members to select which character it was for and automatically have the race/class/deity/level automatically set to that of the character was great.
The old worked great I just don't know what was the factor or reason to change it - seems worse and does less. So I would request that the advanced search remain something available to use
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 4/9/13, 11:21 AM

Let's try to break your post into some constructive points

1) All flatten filters/options vs add filters

All the options flatten can be very intimidating and there is a lot in the way if you are interested into one or 2 filters.It's like the cockpit of a boeing 747... Moreover, you cant grow the filters that much more. The old search was in my opinion already quite big and yet failed to capture all the stats and additional filters we have now.

Once you know how filters are grouped together and the fact that you can quick select them by typing their names, it goes pretty fast... (Type D and Dexterity comes up, type H and you got all the heroic stats filters, etc...

2) Missing Pierce weapons filter

Piercing weapons is an item category and as such, can be selected using the breadcrumb located at the top left of your search
> http://eq.magelo.com/items/2

And for your request: http://eq.magelo.com/items/2?c=9&s=11&l=95&f=g37_0_0 , honestly it took me maybe 3sec to do it

3) Does not give general stats along with the result

All the general stats were nice to have when items only had 10 stats or so. With the explosion of stats it's impossible and not practical at all to display them all. Then you have to choose and what we will pick will always be not enough or too much for some people.

So the best thing we can do is to leave it to you. You are never gonna focus on all the stats, only a very few matters for your class at a particular level. Right now if you pick them as filters, those stats will automatically be displayed in the search. That way you have everything you need and no other stats come in your way.

And most probably you will end up using the weight system which allow you to step back from the stats themselves since you will only care about the score of each items.

4) Option for premium members to select which character it was for and automatically have the race/class/deity/level automatically set to that of the character was great.

I agree, it was neat and I will look on how we can auto fill those fields again depending on your selected character in the web bar. The additional advantage of leveraging the web bar here is that when you mouse over the items in your result, you will get a dual tool tip with an instant comparison with your currently equipped item.

5) What where the motivations for the change ?

Very old search system which was almost impossible or very cumbersome to further extend, we kinda pushed it to its limit already, a long time ago. People kept asking us for more stat filters, for item effect filters, for source filters and we just could not add those on the existing foundation. Moreover the url for a search was a monster, rendering it not shareable.

The new system is really agile, extensible, friendly regarding the url, does not intimidate your at first and yet is very capable and fast.

I know change is hard but please give it a chance, I truly believe it will give you satisfaction. And I will make sure to address the few little things I discussed above.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback !
halfpastseven

Posted: 4/9/13, 6:59 PM

Well just the knowledge of the 'breadcrumb' was a huge help - didn't realize that was an option- I will play with the features more and more and hope I can learn to appreciate its aspects more as well. Thank you for the explanations =)