> > > New Characters Ranking

Messages in topic: New Characters Ranking
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11396
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 9/17/14, 5:08 PM

Hi halfpastseven,

Thanks again for taking the time to leave some feedbacks.
  1. If the player you are looking for is in the ranking (top300), the quick filter (in the datatable not the quick search in the bottom bar) will reveal it instantly. The old system was paging through the whole database which was super inefficient but you could use it to lookup someone not matter his place in the ranking. I will enhance the quick search in the magelo bar to search through characters as well.
  2. I see your point, basically I need to activate the column as the sort when you click on it without changing the order, well anyhow I will spare you the details, I will fix this.
  3. Make sure to re sync your character, it will fix the problem instantly. Otherwise, the database is currently re indexing all our characters and soon this issue will get resolved by itself.

As you can see, we listen to our community and we try to be as responsive as possible. We are human being and while we give our best to deliver from day one the best experience possible when it comes to new features or revamp of existing ones, time to time, we might miss a few things. What matters is in the end, thanks to the feedback of people like you, the tools are getting better and together we find solutions to address your needs.

Skeebod
Premium User

Nbr post: 3
Register: 5/28/03
Posted: 9/21/14, 10:47 PM

Frankly, I think the new ranking interface is awful. How about a on-line manual to help figure out how to do the simple comparison like we used to be able to do? Why take up room with "guild" in the search spot? And why are we having to type in the "level to level" instead of just using the selector button? If there's a way to display the various categories beyond AA it's sure not intuitive.

loulina
Admin

Nbr post: 4235
Register: 2/8/06
Posted: 9/22/14, 12:26 AM

Hi Skeebob,

We are working on improving the new ranking layout and we will push an update soon.
At the moment you need to select a filter to add another column in the table. But we plan to automatically display additional columns, as it was before.
We will keep you posted
azrael247

Register: 11/26/13
Posted: 9/22/14, 11:35 PM

The new ranking interface is pretty terrible. I appreciate what you were trying to accomplish, but as a web developer myself, this is a clear case of not understanding what people use the rankings for.

I don't mean to be harsh, this is intended to be constructive criticism, but here is my personal feedback:

1) The new icons for classes at the top are extremely useless. They are not distinct enough from each other at all, and there's really no way to tell what class is what without hovering over it. If you are trying to save space, you are better off with 3 character links such as:

[BST] [BER] [NEC] [WIZ] [WAR] .. etc across the top. Or change the graphics to contain the abbreviations (but really, why do you need graphics in the first place?? We don't identify classes by graphics, we identify them by their abbreviations)

After a while it will become memorization which link to click for your own class, but that's not a good design strategy, and it still requires more effort to check a class I don't check often just because I have no idea what each icon means.

2) Changing the class dropdown to "Necromancer" vs clicking the Necro icon at the top has different behaviors. I see now after fiddling with it that the icon at the top is intended to be equivalent to the old "Class rankings" link...but it's quite confusing. I would instead make the class dropdown change the default filters so that they are correct for that class.

Move the class dropdown slightly higher than the other fields, and set up some js so that when you switch the dropdown, it will add the default filters for that class. IE if I switch it to Warrior, it will pre-filter AC / HP for me (just as if I've clicked the war icon), and if I then switch it from War to Nec, it will pre filter it by HP / Mana.

This would actually be an improvement over the old page, where changing the dropdown would not change the default primary filters, so if I wanted to switch between class rankings, the fastest way is by going back to the Rankings summary page, or clicking Ranking on the left of the site

3) Achievement sorting as a default is pretty useless, unless your user statistics suggest otherwise. I don't know ANY heavy magelo users who care about anything but their own class rankings. Achievements, AA, etc are fun to look at once in a while, but serve no real purpose as a primary ranking. It's cool that it's been added though, I suppose.

4) Necros are currently default sorted by Mana first, then HP. Should be HP first, then Mana, just like Shaman. Other classes look good for the most part, though I'm not sure if Rangers by HP > ATK is the way to go, though I'm not a ranger main so I can't say for certain.

5) Going back to the class icon thing...the icons are all so similar, if you are looking at any cross-class rankings, you can't actually tell what classes they are, unless you hover over each icon. It would be far more clear if it just said NEC, WAR, WIZ in that column

6) Guild search is useful, as is removing race, good changes there.

7) I disagree with the assertion that a name sort is not necessary, especially now that you've added guild as a search field. Searching for a guild, then sorting by name is an excellent way to scan through the entire list of people in a guild.

8) Weighting the stats is a cool feature, but extremely advanced, and probably will be used very rarely. It adds a bit of clutter to the page but it's okay there. Could probably do with at least hiding it with javascript under an "Advanced Search" type link, or even separating the page into a simple and advanced search

I think those are the main things I can see right now. Keep up the good work.
loulina
Admin

Nbr post: 4235
Register: 2/8/06
Posted: 9/23/14, 12:25 AM

Thank you azrael247 for your very constructive comments. You'll be happy to see than most if not all of them will be addressed in our next update. We will keep you posted! Thanks again
b auldzedar

Nbr post: 13
Register: 1/3/05
Posted: 9/28/14, 12:16 PM

edited i was going to rant about loosing hp/mana searching but then found the filter drop down menu.
so im still happy as im not bothered about achievements.
Tregor688

Nbr post: 4
Register: 3/11/12
Posted: 10/7/14, 7:52 PM

I use the player name search and it doesn't work. There is also no filter to rank by AA anymore.

"The new Ranking is fast and real time. As soon as you sync, the Ranking is updated."

- I was able to update Magelo and it did it right away before, so what's the difference?

Kris032681

Register: 1/15/12
Posted: 10/11/14, 4:29 PM

I'm also not a big fan of having the default filter being achievements. I am much more interested on numbers that actually reflect on how the character is equipped.
I really liked how the last ranking system showed multiple stats and you could just click the top to sort by that one. It was way easier to compare relevant stats. It seems like the ranking view now is just a lot of wasted space,
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 10/15/14, 5:02 PM

We just finally rolled out an update on the new ranking system and we tried to incorporate all the suggestions that have been given, thanks again for anyone who gave us some constructive feedback.
So without any further delay, here is the changelog:
  • We got rid of the pre made class ranking at the top. Now, whenever you pick up a class, the filter will be pre filled for you according to the selected class, you can just validate the form to get started.
  • For any class ranking, we now display a list of stats no matter the filters you have. If you pick a stat that is not shown already, it will be added to the result.
  • Improved the layout to be more compact and readable. We also automatically hide the server column if you pick a server.
  • You can click on any stat column to quickly sort your ranking according to that stat. It will now sort from the biggest to the lowest directly (descending), no more double clicking a stat column to get what you want.
  • The name column is clickable again so you can quickly sort your results by name, pretty handy if you are ranking guild mates.
  • If you specify a guild, the search will return all the guild members, not just the first 300 of them.
  • AA has made a comeback in the filters, somehow left behind in the new system.
  • Haste has been fixed and will be displayed correctly as soon as the indexing is finished javascript:void(0)
We hope that with these changes in place, the new ranking will be more enjoyable and easy to use. If you think of any further way to improve it, just let us know.
Ebonylight

Nbr post: 5
Register: 11/28/01
Posted: 10/15/14, 5:31 PM

First let me say I appreciate all the work you guys do on this site. Its been amazing and kept maintained very well over a long period of time now.

To the new and "updated" rankings. Imo its 100 times worse then before.

-Why are the class prefilter buttons gone? I dont see how this makes sense. I know pre filters come up when you select a class but it was just easier to hit class pre filter button. If anyone wants to filter stuff, im sure its more then whats already set.

-I love that the ranking are more compact but there is just WAY way to much going on now. There are numbers everywhere. Setting the default with achievement points is fine and if you want to leave hp/mana/ac and aa. Thats fine but with the addition of atk, hp+ and mana+ there is just too much going on.

-Also when using filters for specific searches, everything you set for defaults (and more) never goes away. If I want to see who is top mana for druids, it should just list mana if I made the filters. Instead I have 6 columns of other stats I cant get rid and dont want to look at.

Again I appreciate the work you guys do but I dont understand all the reworking of the rankings page. Imo, should have just added achievement points to the rankings and left everything else alone. I would love more then anything to see this happen. This rework is just unnecessary. The original rankings were amazing and rarely need much improvement and I think a lot of people would agree.
kooblah

Nbr post: 2
Register: 6/22/08
Posted: 10/16/14, 12:10 PM

I am confused I guess, now when I click on a class (shadowknight) and a server (bertox) a level 85 sk is #2? It would seem the ranking list's calculator forgot to carry a one or something. Maybe my ranking list is just broke. Is there a way to keep the way it was like a week ago and opt out of the new format till the bugs are worked out?

Jelan
Admin

Posted: 10/16/14, 1:08 PM

Most likely the index was corrupted at some point. Let me re index from scratch, the ranking will not be availaible right away but as soon as data comes up again, everything should be fixed.
bijeau
Premium User

Nbr post: 7
Register: 7/21/05
Posted: 10/16/14, 9:15 PM

My character is Gold. Not even showing up on class rankings.
Myzr
Premium User

Nbr post: 6
Register: 10/2/01
Posted: 10/17/14, 6:49 AM

One of my characters is not showing - ever since you made all these changes magelo has been a hassle to use can please go back to the way it was... I could care less about achievements just make it a ranking you can pick from the old structure to keep odd person happy... this is just upsetting a bunch of your customers and making me still debate why I am paying for something that just is very frustrating lately..........

Snowman a DC5AB Spiritwatcher
kooblah

Nbr post: 2
Register: 6/22/08
Posted: 10/18/14, 5:52 PM

Since the re-start, as people re-sync and get re added....the ranking system seems to be fine with me. Simple to use, and comprehend, Thank you.