Login / Sign up
> > > CPU usage?

Messages in topic: CPU usage?
Bareldi

Nbr post: 46
Register: 11/19/02
Posted: 12/7/15, 10:55 PM

I often load 6 or 7 accounts at once on my AMD 8-core machine, and it usually runs well.

Lately I have been noticing significant choppiness in moving around.

Looking at windows task manager, I found all 8 cores pegged at 100% usage

On the processes tab, I see MageloSync64 taking over 50% of overall cpu.

Killing the Magelo UI window did not immediately help. The process was still there, hogging the cpu.

Killing the process brought game performance back to normal.

Looking at it when things are working ok, I still see that MageloSync64 process wandering between 15% and 30% cpu, much more than anything else.

I don't think this should be normal?

EDIT: I may be mistaken about the process staying active when I closed the UI window. I cannot reproduce that. But the CPU usage is still way too high... i see it bouncing to almost 50% still. The eq sessions run at 10%, and everything else is much lower.
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11410
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 12/8/15, 11:49 PM

Hi Bareldi,

Running 6 or 7 instances of EQ is not really the typical use case of Magelo Sync and Magelo Sync has never been tuned to handle this situation very well.

It is something that I plan to address in the future so that heavy tasks are only happening within a single EQ monitor not in all of them as it is currently.
Bareldi

Posted: 12/9/15, 12:45 AM

Ok. darn. I would like to keep it running for the item collection, but it becomes unplayable.

Just tossing out a possibility... if the load is from watching for loots, might it be easier to find a way to mark some sessions as not to be monitored? Looting generally happens on only one of my characters.

Maybe I can offload some of the sessions to a laptop. But it is more convenient to have everything in one place.

Anyway, thanks for replying.
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11410
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 12/9/15, 4:51 AM

Should be able to solve this issue rather quickly.

Checking for loot is very cheap, geolocalization module which polls all the entities in the zone is the one that is not so cheap...
Bareldi

Posted: 12/9/15, 10:24 AM

Ah. So my tendency to have characters scattered across multiple zones contributes to the problem? (more zones to poll?)
Bareldi

Posted: 12/15/15, 9:03 AM

I do not know whether you have had a chance to change anything, but today Magelo is behaving somewhat more politely. With 7 characters loaded in 2 zones, Magelo CPU usage is hovering in the 20-30% range, and CPU idle time puts in an occasional appearance at 10-ish % along with the EQ sessions. The game is playable this way.

There was a short period when I started Magelo where everything froze, but that resolved quickly.

Thank you if you did something, and if you did not let's hope it stays at least this good.