Login / Sign up
> > > Accuracy or lack there of

Messages in topic: Accuracy or lack there of
Jebasiz

Nbr post: 3
Register: 8/13/03
Posted: 2/11/07, 2:42 AM

Not that my profile is correct or anything..my hps and mana are off a bit( if I upgraded and sync'd it might be right), but due to the lack of people who have updated their profile on the ranking board and those that haven't bothered making a profile at all..do you think the fact that you're now requiring people to pay for things that were offered for free under eqrankings have effected usage?

Honestly, this site is no more accurate(and probably less) then eqplayers. I don't personally care much about ranking or where people fall, but not having guild tags bringing you webpages, or being able to look up a recruit with any sense of confidence in what's listed makes the site really ineffective.

When launching the site, I think it would of been better if you initially offered the same services at no cost that the combination of magelo and eqrankings offered, and once you get your database populated, then move to a premium requirement for certain functions. Without more accurate information, and a higher % of profiles being ranked..the validity of the ranking system is undermined. For those that care about that type of thing..you're not "33rd serverwide for stat X" you're "33rd serverwide for stat X out of the 30%(I just picked a number) of people who bothered to populate the ranking board".

I would think, if you offered the same services that were free before w/o requiring premium service now, you'd have a more successfull, and accurate product. Then people who have premium accounts would have more accurate data.

Personally, I just use magelo to keep track of my mods..anything else doesn't matter to me. It'd be nice that people who are paying for a service to have more validity through a more thoroughly populated chart though.
Inoke
Advisor

Nbr post: 1182
Register: 1/27/04
Posted: 2/11/07, 3:15 AM

EQRankings is not and never has been run by Magelo. They merely used Magelo's data to build their tables.

You do not need to be premium to have your toon in Magelo's rankings - all you have to do is run the updater so that Magelo can confirm name, lvl and server of the toon then it will get added to the ranking.

Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 2/11/07, 3:22 PM

Magelo Update also verifies the game data against the profile and only adds it to the rankings if the profile is "valid" (matching ingame).
Jebasiz

Nbr post: 3
Register: 8/13/03
Posted: 2/12/07, 4:45 AM

Ya..that really wasn't my question or point of my post. I just find the lack of participation(by comparison to eqrankings) undermines the validity of the ranking system used here. I think that lack of participation is due to having more features tied to(particularly the ability to sort a search the way you want) premium accounts..especially since it used to be free on eqrankings.
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 2/12/07, 5:31 AM

In the end, EQRankings wasn't exactly a free service anymore either.