Login / Sign up
> > > The Buried Sea update

Messages in topic: The Buried Sea update
ozzumar

Nbr post: 2
Register: 2/11/07
Posted: 2/23/07, 10:53 PM

"There was a news post on the 19th of february that Jelan is working on the MU to make it compatible with the latest expansion (actually, it is the starting message in this topic). Was there another message and/or other information you would have expected there? "

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that Jelan is working on MU to make it work with the last expansion, it should be ready for tomorrow if all goes well. We’re also working on the new equipment slot and we will update the profile asap.

Thanks for your patience.

Maurice,

Pretend for a moment that you are unfamiliar with Magelo and its workings. By reading this news post from the 19th, how is one to determine that magelo is currently NON-FUNCTIONAL?
I don't know what MU is or what it means or how it effects my Premium membership.

I belive your newspost is targeted at existing members who understand MU = Magelo Update and if MU is not working than you can not update your character, also if MU is not working with the last expansion it will not work with the previous 12 expansions.

Was there another message and/or other information you would have expected there?

Yes, I like this post alot better.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that Jelan is working on Magelo Update to make it work with the last expansion. Currently MU is not working, please do not try to update your characters, you will not be able to, it should be ready for tomorrow if all goes well. We’re also working on the new equipment slot and we will update the profile asap. Also, if you are considering signing up for our premium service, we recommend you wait a few more days, or possibly another week.

Thanks for your patience
Destil02

Nbr post: 15
Register: 12/17/05
Posted: 2/24/07, 12:14 AM

By reading this news post from the 19th, how is one to determine that magelo is currently NON-FUNCTIONAL?

By the fact that it states:

...Jelan is working on MU to make it work...

I don't know about you, but if someone tells me their working on getting it to work, that means currently it doesn't...

Also, Your post is somewhat rediculous. What business in their right mind would suggest that a paying customer leave? Let them make that determination on their own based on the services and information available.

I too am a paying customer, and hope that Magelo is up and running quickly... but I would rather it be running smoothly tomorrow, than buggy today.

Thanks for the work Jelan and co.
Now stop reading and get my Sh*t workin'! <j/k>

Be well

Nashm ~ Officer of <Dissention>, 7th Hammer
Missa ~ Officer of <Dissention>, 7th Hammer
"I say nothing for the good of myself, but I'm still talking , and you're not listening." - VNV Nation - Chrome
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 2/24/07, 5:33 AM

I've modified the initial post to say "Magelo Update" where it used to say "MU" to clarify this. I agree, using an abbreviation is ok when people are known with the term, but not for new users.

Personally, when I am going to buy something, I am going to check the pro's and con's. I read up about the product, especially if I am going to send out my credit card info. What am I buying? What rights and privileges do I have? For a continued service (like Magelo, or any MMORPG, etc...), what can I expect in terms of continuity? Downtime? What is the current state of the program?
Trook

Nbr post: 83
Register: 11/25/03
Posted: 2/24/07, 11:55 AM

Why cant MAgelo get an agreement with SoE where Magelo gets the updates they need to work the new patch along with the expansion. As the Devs add/change stuff, Magelo gets that part to add to the new update.

Then just update Magelo the day of the new expansion/patch release? That would go along way to increase the customer support..

Unless of course that is technically impossible.. But I dont see how it could be ..

And, this would end the posts where folks are pissed for paying for a service that is no usable until well after the patch.

Just a thought..
reddnek

Nbr post: 2
Register: 11/11/05
Posted: 2/24/07, 12:21 PM

Read earlier in the posts where they talked about this. SOE will not give them the information as this will set a bad precedent with other companies that also try to do the same thing. Sony does not like us using a 3rd party when they have their own version of this, EQPlayers.
Wiltan

Nbr post: 7
Register: 9/27/02
Posted: 2/24/07, 1:11 PM

Every expansion for the years I've been using Magelo (and MU) I find myself coming to the website daily to see whether MU has been updated yet, and if not, I come back tomorrow. I remember the times it's taken weeks, and the time it's been just a few days. I'm used to it; I GET it.

What I don't get is how after all this time, the forums are the same every single time - all the people flipping out because they're absolutely cripped without MU. Maybe when subscribing, the folks at Magelo should include a "what can I expect when SOE patches Everquest" note, but I'm sure a lot of the folks complaining complained last time and the time before too.

Guys, if you're apping a guild that requires a magelo link and you're a couple of weeks out of date, just manually edit your profile to add in the couple of new AA's you got since then, or your brand-spanking-new 2.0 your old guild got you before you decided to jump ship. You can come back for the automatic updater later. I mean, really... why aren't you playing EQ right now instead of posting here anyway? You pay roughly six times as much for EQ as you do for Magelo.

On the subject of guilds that require a magelo link when you app... want to know why? Because Magelo is the service people take seriously. It's the industry standard of Everquest character profiles. Sony isn't going to share their development information with Magelo (before or AFTER release) because they have a competing, LESSER product, so Magelo has to extract the information they need post-release without any support from SOE.

Also important to note... last I checked, your Magelo Premium subscription was to this entire service, including the item/spell/zone lookups (a great reference tool), the ability to make "alternate profiles" to see how different gear will affect your overall stats, etc. The updater is one tiny piece of this service. Those of you complaining that you paid $x and aren't getting anything for it are apparently under the mistaken assumption that the only thing you paid for was that tiny little tool that just saves you the effort of updating your profile yourself, like we all used to do in the days before the updater did it for is. Yeah, it's nice to have that "authentic magelo" logo on there, but you'll get that logo right back once the updater is back in place.

Go play EQ. Come back tomorrow and just look at the front page. If it says "Hey, the updater has been patched!" use it. If not, come back the next day, or next week. If anything, your profile will look that much cooler by all the progress you've made since your last update; I know mine will.

Kobayashii Maruu - Maelin Starpyre
Runawayordie

Nbr post: 13
Register: 8/24/04
Posted: 2/24/07, 1:14 PM

greetings not trying to complain i understand your situation however you said on the 19th it should be up and running tomorrow ( still says that) it is now the 24th ( 4 days after supposedly up and running ) just wondering if there is at all any kind of eta on when it will actualy be up and running? also i would like to state i have used magelo for several years and this is the first time i have ever complained because, as i said, i understand your situation and that it takes time just really wondering when it will be going again
Canderous

Nbr post: 12
Register: 11/17/05
Posted: 2/24/07, 6:57 PM

this is getting a little ridiculous, are you guys even working on it? 4 days!?!? gimme a break

Jarlax

Nbr post: 18
Register: 10/22/01
Posted: 2/24/07, 7:36 PM

Piss moan.. Piss moan.. It's a 3rd party program. It's not supported by Sony - and technically by the terms of their EULA - you're violating your service agreement... They have to reverse engineer all the changes made by Sony to ensure it reads correctly and makes the profile adjustments accordingly.. this isn't any change they've made overnight - every expansion things get broke.. it takes time to fix it.. business as usual..

Anyhow - just curious to know how things are progressing along.......
Jouleblu

Nbr post: 4
Register: 10/12/01
Posted: 2/25/07, 6:00 AM

I have been a member for years and I renewed my membership knowing it was update time as usual for the expansion and I am a big fan of your service and have no worries you will get it all going when you get it going and that is plenty soon for me.

Riviera (Bert server)
Dohse

Nbr post: 19
Register: 10/23/03
Posted: 2/25/07, 11:19 AM

I've used Magelo for about 4 years now, and it never ceases to be frustrating to not be able to update my character after a patch/expansion. This is especially true after I've got a new piece of gear. However, if it takes them 3-4 weeks to get the Updater fixed, I will continue to use Magelo. I've been happy with this service for too long. Sony's EQPlayers is a bugged, broken, piece of excrement that I will never use as long as this service is available.

It's not my intention to polish anyone's apple, but breaking Jelan's bells ain't gonna get this fixed sooner.

Were I to add a complaint to balance this post, I'd say I missed the old Search, when I could look for a "fill_in_the_blank_item_slot" for a "fill_in_the_blank_class" with a "fill_in_the_blank_focus". Finding the item which best fit my gear plan with the old search was simple. The new search is sub_generic, in that, you can't even search gear by class or focus effect anymore, which for a lot of people, defies the need for a search to begin with.

Thanks for the work your doing, and I hope my groveling for the old search abilities is something you'd consider bringing back. I'll continue to wait with patience on the patcher.

Daybringer Dise Bamf - Guild Leader of Conviction
bundler

Nbr post: 14
Register: 10/4/03
Posted: 2/25/07, 11:42 AM

ok, i understand that sony views magelo as competition, and probably enjoys the grief their patches cause the coders here. the problem is this.......you CANNOT raise your fees and then expect people to become MORE patient in any realworld scenario i can imagine. when this was a more "friendly" (read cheaper) product, we all were thrilled to wait for our "friends" here to get our nice little way to show off our chars in synch with whatever FUBARing SOE came up with. magelo lost much of the relaxed attitudes when it decided to turn this into a more for-profit based service. it works like that in the real world, and if you disagree you are just sucking up. if you get picked up hitch-hiking you don't get to complain about the music the driver chooses, but if you pay for a cab, you damn sure have the right to complain if the service is not up to your expectations. i still like the service provided here, but expect BETTER when i get charged more, not more excuses.
someone here decided to make this a cash cow, so that genius opened up the door for more scrutiny by doing so. i hope things change for the better, asap, because nothing is worse than bad word-of-mouth for any business.
"hmmm, magelo is STILL not synching right?? what are those clowns doing to earn the raise in fees, anyway?? i think i'll go see how their competition from soe is, at least i know it will not go down for a week every patch because of problems with the patch."
people go where things are the easiest, not always the cheapest. if things don't change, soon, i bet there will be many here that look for different options, i know i am.
LeeIrvine

Nbr post: 5
Register: 3/12/03
Posted: 2/25/07, 11:47 AM

"i think i'll go see how their competition from soe is, at least i know it will not go down for a week every patch because of problems with the patch."

lmao - idiot go check that out then and enjoy and see how much you pay and for what, I'm sure your few $ a month will be so missed!
Daman22

Nbr post: 19
Register: 5/24/02
Posted: 2/25/07, 2:40 PM

I guess my problem is that MU has been down since TBS release. This is not a 4 day thing, but instead its now almost a 2 week thing. I would expect more communication and better response time given the length of the down time. We do not pay a lot for this service, but the fact is, we do pay for this service.

This is the same type of lack of communication and delay that happened with the Error 500 bug that lasted why too long. Just seems support for magelo has truly deteriorated lately.
bundler

Nbr post: 14
Register: 10/4/03
Posted: 2/25/07, 3:08 PM

hmm, i see leeirvine is quite the kissass, lmao. are you old enough to drive?? or do you live in a trailer park on some sort of sub-human welfare paycheck?? my point was that magelo has been rather shoddy lately in regards to how much it has been fully useable, and some people will go look elsewhere at switching. will magelo miss my pittance?? not likely. will magelo miss how many go elsewhere if they can't get this fixed? more likely.
it's sad that so many get so wrapped up in defending magelo for not working well as of late. it is a fact things are not running well, on the average, for months now. would you be as happy if you had a car that failed to start as often as magelo fails to synch?? i think not. don't defend magelo for failing like they have since the switch. instead, hope they get things addressed in a timely manner so you aren't the only one left awaiting the next patch update. the best scenario is magelo running smoothly so everyone is happy, but settling for extended failure with no expectations for improvement will just drive people who ARE success driven to look for a better product.
a lot of people left eq due to the inability of sony to keep their product running well.