Login / Sign up
> > > Java install problems.

Messages in topic: Java install problems.
Emdar

Nbr post: 2
Register: 3/17/02
Posted: 3/23/07, 4:28 PM

I've been a premimum user for years. I thought that with all the bugs recently, I would some how get an extension on my time. Didn't as far as I could determing. No pproblem...its a good service and I like it.

New higher price...again...its a good service and I like it.

BUT.... I have been able to use it maybe 3 or 4 weeks so far this year. This isn't fun or really worth the money at any price if it doesn't work.

I followed the link to Java. Clicked the download. Hit the install and watched it do its thing...including the no button to the Google taskbar. It finished and looked good.

I rebooted my comp.

NOTHING. Still says I have the wrong version and need to re do it. So I did...3 times so far.

Must I go in and entirely remove Java first?

The FAQs on the Java site are wow... 50? way too many for me to mess with. I can push a few buttons but then that's it.

Please tel me what to do....like most people, I want a quick fix.

Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 3/23/07, 9:02 PM

When you have problems installing a newer version of software you already have installed in your computer, it's good practice to completely uninstall the old version and then - once all traces of the old program are gone - install the new version. This also means you start "fresh", without any artifacts from the older version. As such, I recommend clearing out the old version of the JRE completely and then installing the new version.
Onetree
Advisor

Nbr post: 2781
Register: 10/29/01
Posted: 3/24/07, 2:56 AM

The procedure for updating your JRE is posted in a stickied thread in the Support section. It also includes a few words on what to do with Magelo Update afterward to ensure a viable installation. If, after following the procedure, Magelo Update doesn't work properly for you, please post here any details on errors, warning messages, etc. for us to review. There is another stickied thread elsewhere in these forums that shows how to retrieve an activity log from Magelo Update, which comes in very handy.

Earthkeeper Onetree Tallbarque of Maelin Starpyre <Valoran>
PoM Pilot & Keeper of the Original PoM FAQ
Grandmaster Jeweler & Baker w/ Expert Trophies
Need help? Check out our FAQ. Java Runtime Environment (JRE) help can be found here.