Login / Sign up
> > > AA Cap and DKP Bonus

Messages in topic: AA Cap and DKP Bonus
Gamoenx

Nbr post: 6
Register: 4/16/05
Posted: 4/13/07, 4:08 PM

I know this has been posted already but thought I must bring this to more people's attention. I have maxed aa's and my magelo shows me as having capped at 1936. And I have nearly 2100 aa's due to spending them on the glyphs. My guild gives a dkp bonus for aa's each month, up to a 300 dkp limit, and now since they only use magelo's for this they have decided to give me a flat 60 dkp per month which I think is unfair since everyone else could basically pass me by getting the max number of 300 dkp, it penalizes you for playing more than others thus lowering the incentive to get to the maxed aa cap, and it simply diminishes my desire to play everquest, period.

I know the reason for this is that it benefits the guild but first of all I see no harm in doing this since it is not a limited resource and there are no negative reasons for doing this since it benefits everyone and besides who wouldn't want a player with 2100 aa's, lol. I see this as being a way to reward those who are more dedicated to their game and if they take this away from us it would only cause us to leave for better guilds let alone making them look bad.

If only sony would give us more aa's and I cannot understand why they don't since more players than ever are hitting their aa caps. Can someone please address this problem? I cannot seem to get through to the magelo team on this since I sent an e-mail a few days ago and got no response. Another guild I am considering is backflagging for DPoB next week and I need to know asap. Thank you.
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 4/14/07, 7:46 AM

I am not sure if Magelo can access the amount of AA's spent on Glyphs, much like Flags and Keys data is unavailable.

I would really take this up with your guild, indicating that Magelo does not handle Glyphed AA's and as such getting judged on those based on your Magelo profile is not fair.
Gamoenx

Register: 4/16/05
Posted: 4/14/07, 7:18 PM

Only you can't edit aa's like you can with flags.
moklianne

Nbr post: 127
Register: 8/25/02
Posted: 4/15/07, 3:37 PM

Guilds have always used Magelo for measuring the equiment and AA's of recruits and members for many reasons. This is nothing new. Its just that now, Magelo is not accurate, which causes issues.

There's got to be some way for Magelo to simply intercept the number of AA's displayed that is always displayed in our inventory screen.

Moklianne -Magelo
Tryal

Nbr post: 8
Register: 6/12/02
Posted: 4/19/07, 12:57 AM

Sounds more that the problem isn't with Magelo, but that your Guild is run by Idiots who made a system that doesn't make any sense?
moklianne

Posted: 4/20/07, 1:26 AM

When people pay for a service, they'd like it to be accurate.

Moklianne -Magelo
Aszuth

Nbr post: 12
Register: 4/2/05
Posted: 4/20/07, 11:43 AM

I'd recommend working on getting the system changed instead of fighting the magelo people to fix an issue that rarely effects many people, and when it does the effect is trivial to all but a very few of those effected people.

Being someone that has been running/modifying DKP systems for nearly 6 yrs now the idea of giving any bonus of substance for AA'ing seems terrible for threefold reasons:

1) It gives the recruiters an excuse to lower requirements for apps - "Well, sure this tank doesn't even have half his defensives done - but he'll make them up because of the AA"
2) In a similar line if/when any guild member switches mains or whatever it encourages them to join at 0 AA instead of a sensible number to rack up the fattest cash cow of a DKP bonus.
3) And most importantly - DKP should NEVER be assessed for what you do outside of raid time barring occasional extreme examples as merit cases when people go far out of their way to get something done for the guild. (rarely applicable to current content though)
moklianne

Posted: 4/21/07, 3:27 PM

What people do with Magelo is not the point. People pay for a fast way to update their profile. Flags can never be update, okay fine. Now the AA count won't be accurate if you've ever bought expendables. It will get to a point that everyone will be manually updating their profiles anyway, so why would they pay for a service?

Moklianne -Magelo
Aszuth

Nbr post: 12
Register: 4/2/05
Posted: 4/21/07, 3:55 PM

Considering there's dozens of issues and major features promised but not yet in yet - I think a feature that I'd imagine a grand total of a couple dozen users (if even that) care about that is likely tricky to manage.

If this was a quick easy fix, I'm pretty sure they would've popped in and said it was easy to do and it would be done - with no response, I'd presume it's been added to their list somewhere towards the end since it effects so few people.

(And I'm serious about it being the worst DKP idea I've ever heard of BTW - uncontrolled inflation rocks)
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11385
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 4/24/07, 9:59 PM

moklianne, it would be nice to stop bashing Magelo whenever you can, trying to convert people to eqplayers in the process, this is the second warning and the last.

As for the AA issue, honestly, even if we could simply fix this, which is not the case, i don't think i would do it, why ?

Well, the number of AA points are here to reflect your advancement in the alternate abilities trees, overall, it give a quick overview of how much efforts people put in those abilities and how far they gone.

Any points which is not granting an alternate ability rank is not representative hence it should be ignored. To an extend, unspent points should have been ignored from the beginning and as people noticed, only spent AA points are counted in the ranking.

There is much better way for guilds to watch and monitor the participation of their members. Raid attendance is one way, there are many others. I don't find that stupid to give some DKP points for AA achievement if it can give people a motivation to get more alternate abilities which in the end, benefit guild raids.

Of course, once you have all your alternate abilities, it does not make sense to keep getting some DKP points...
darcmater

Nbr post: 10
Register: 1/20/04
Posted: 5/14/07, 9:31 PM

ok I been a bit busy but i would like to add a bit to this discussion. I could care less about about dkp bonuses or use as a recruitment tool ( both of which my guild does) To me the whole point of magelo is to accurately show off my toon to others (make my video game tuff guy persona even better). It also is usefull tool for me to look for upgrades and see how ti would effect my overall stats, like if the upgrade is worth it, etc. Now if magelo does not acurately do this for me its is failing in the primary reason I use it. As simple as they hand aa's out now adays everyoen should be capped unless they just don't play on any kind of regular basis and then whats the point of even haveign a magelo.
moklianne

Posted: 5/15/07, 12:52 AM

Jelan, first of all I don't remember a warning, the only thing I bash about Magelo is the price. I have always said that EQplayers is an inferior product to Magelo. Take a look at my EQplayers profile and you'll see the issues they have been having lately. lol

I complain about certain functionality because these are things that everyone expects from Magelo. I'm talking about basic functionality that is being withered away, the AA's is an example of this.

I am sorry if you are taking my comments the wrong way, I just really don't want to see Magelo go the wayside. You guys are still having issues with EQ and have yet to even implement the EQ2 and WoW channels.

Moklianne -Magelo
Jufowup

Register: 5/24/02
Posted: 5/15/07, 6:36 AM

there is no service that supports showing spent expendable AAs, BECAUSE EQ DOESN"T TRACK IT.

The only way to have it be "acurate" is to let people manually enter it, which would then result in guilds ignoring AA totals on magelo's which would make the entire thing pointless.

2 people bitching, or invalidate the entire profile... hhmm... i can't decide which is better...

PS, please stick with EQPlayers if you like it better, god knows i love having tried to update it everyday for 2+ months and gotten it to update ONCE in that time.
darcmater

Nbr post: 10
Register: 1/20/04
Posted: 5/15/07, 12:19 PM

what are u talkign about when u say eq doesn't track it? last tiem i check my aa counter was still climbing, like almost 200 what magelo will represent
azuredragon01

Nbr post: 11
Register: 3/20/02
Posted: 5/20/07, 12:50 PM

This looks like another case of some items are being kept serverside (Sony) and some being sent client side (Player). Magelo can only track information that is sent to the client and cannot get anything held only on the server. This is why Magelo cant track flags and keys.

The server and client both work to process what EQ needs each uses certain pieces of information. The client will only recieve information to do alot of active processing so the server can spend its resources on the zone side of things. The AA counter is not used for anything other than displaying a total. Thus is probably kept serverside only and cannot be tracked by Magelo.

There are a few things like flags and total AA count that only EQ players can show since they have physical access to the core player files.

Kat

Master Artisan Katonis Shadowfury of the Hunt
Waymaker Taladise Shadowheart the Adventurous
Muse Koorie Shadowsong the Adventurous