Login / Sign up
> > > Magelo Update

Messages in topic: Magelo Update
Shelda

Nbr post: 87
Register: 12/23/02
Posted: 1/25/18, 6:15 PM

Hello Jelan.

Each time EQ is patched, what takes so long to get the new version of Magelo Sync working? I mean, you've been running and supporting this for almost as many years as EQ has been running so I can't understand why at this point it's not more of an exact science to get us an updated client within 24-48 hours? When you consider that getting a new client each time takes 5-10 days, that's 5-10 days of paid service that isn't being provided. You add this up over the course of a paid YEAR of membership and you're talking 1-2 months of paid membership time that the service isn't available to sync (and sync'ing changes is one of the biggest usages so I can keep all my gear changes on all my many toons up to date).

Please look at taking this more seriously when EQ is patched because really, that's a poor availability rate and needs to be improved. I believe that when EQ is patched that getting the new client out is Priority #1 and then bugs #2 and enhancements is #3.

Let me know when we can expect this new client.

Shelda
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11388
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 1/28/18, 12:39 AM

Hi Shelda,

Let's adress a few things here.

Each time EQ is patched, what takes so long to get the new version of Magelo Sync working? I mean, you've been running and supporting this for almost as many years as EQ has been running so I can't understand why at this point it's not more of an exact science to get us an updated client within 24-48 hours?

I takes roughly 2 hours to patch EQ if we are talking about a simple patch. Given the timezone difference ( I am in Hong Kong right now) if they patch on Wednesday (which they usually do) I will see that patch on my Thursday. Now unlike a few years back, i have a day job which is not Magelo and also a family to take care of. I know that the track record of patch time the last year has not been stellar and I have put in place some measures to make sure I normally patch it with 24-48 hours unless RL comes in the way somehow.

When you consider that getting a new client each time takes 5-10 days, that's 5-10 days of paid service that isn't being provided. You add this up over the course of a paid YEAR of membership and you're talking 1-2 months of paid membership time that the service isn't available to sync (and sync'ing changes is one of the biggest usages so I can keep all my gear changes on all my many toons up to date).

Whenever I fail to patch within 48 hours, I always compensate all our premium users for the time lost. So while you couldn't sync as fast as you would want to, you never loose time on your membership.

Please look at taking this more seriously when EQ is patched because really, that's a poor availability rate and needs to be improved. I believe that when EQ is patched that getting the new client out is Priority #1 and then bugs #2 and enhancements is #3.

At stated above, this is something i am fully aware of and I have implemented already a few things to help in this regard. You can monitor and check Magelo Sync uptime at http://syncstatus.magelo.com/

Unfortunately the public status page is not showing more than 5 days of history, I hope they can fix this soon so people can look at the uptime over the past months as well. This uptime is entirely automated. As soon as Magelo Sync detect a new game version, the service goes DOWN and I receive a notification. As soon as Someone is able to sync, the service goes UP.

Something pretty funky is happening since a week with EQ. As you can see, the service keeps going up and down. The only explanation is EQ currently have 2 game versions running concurrently somehow which never happened before. It could be some kind of A/B testing they are currently doing to test something for a fraction on their userbase.

I can sync just fine right now but it seems like some users cant sync at the moment and you might be one of them.
Shelda

Nbr post: 87
Register: 12/23/02
Posted: 1/28/18, 9:09 AM

Hello Jelan, thanks for the feedback and updates.

To address your last point, yes, they did in fact have 2 game clients at the same time. They updated EQ in the background and did a serverwide broadcast to tell people a new client was available and to logout and re-run the patcher at their convenience. So, good you saw that!

-Shelda
mattszuk

Nbr post: 17
Register: 5/12/02
Posted: 3/2/18, 8:38 PM

Should we be able to sync? I have not been able to, it still states EQ has been patched etc.
Thanks!
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 3/2/18, 10:24 PM

You should be able to sync just fine, just to be sure I just checked and could sync. Make sure you did not skip a game update somehow.
mattszuk

Nbr post: 17
Register: 5/12/02
Posted: 3/2/18, 10:32 PM

Thanks Jelan! I'll check that out.
zeroaphex

Nbr post: 2
Register: 4/19/07
Posted: 3/17/18, 5:19 PM

I cannot sync, says there has been a patch. How long does it take?
Jelan
Admin

Posted: 3/20/18, 4:12 AM

Normally no more than 1 or 2 days at most except when other stuff get in the way as it happened this time. Magelo Sync has been patched and we have compensated all premium users with 3 extra days.