Login / Sign up
> > > $24.95???

Messages in topic: $24.95???
Aala

Nbr post: 63
Register: 12/11/01
Posted: 1/22/07, 5:42 AM

The Magelo staff and Advisors seem to be labouring under various misapprehensions of what their competition, being EQplayers actually lets you do for free... and that quite possibly feeds into their inflated estimates of what the "reasonable" price for Premium is.
  • It costs you NOTHING to synchronize all your characters on however many accounts or however many servers you play on. It DOES NOT cost you $2.99 per account for this.
  • It costs you $0.99 extra per month on ONE account to be able to see all the key and flag and other detailed information for ALL your characters, UNLESS you insist on blocking access by other people.
  • It DOES show the state of all major Flags and Keys directly from the Database.
  • It DOES have a linkable profile that works very similarly to how "Old Magelo" did.
  • As of today, the Rankings seem to be done without buffs. The stats on the detail page are also correct. It still does garble the display of some item, so it's not 100% accurate.

Against this is the fact that right now, Magelo won't synch my primary character AT ALL....

I have 7 accounts. I most certainly won't pay $75 to have them premium. (It cost me $18/year before for this, I think? $12 for 3 accts + $6 for another 5?)

Tilluan AB
Premium User

Nbr post: 49
Register: 8/20/03
Posted: 1/22/07, 6:18 AM

just wanted to say that I prologued my membership due to the new features you have introduced. SOE could really hide. Now just introduce an interactive forum to the objects you link in the new zone section and we could kick Alla

Jartaxel

Nbr post: 111
Register: 10/22/03
Posted: 1/24/07, 7:42 AM

Thank you Magelo You are worth every $$

Jartaxel Daerthe
Raging Fury
Kaliaila

Nbr post: 66
Register: 12/23/02
Posted: 1/25/07, 11:53 AM

Just as Aala says Magelo is now 2x as much as what EQ players is for what the majority of the people use. I am further sure that reguardless of how much Magelo wants people to come and pay them to use their new zones descriptions and beastiary everyone is still going to continue to go to Allah without a 2nd thought due to the fact that it is free. Same goes for Item look up. Lucy is Free. EQplayers doesn't start getting more expensive till you start adding Extra features. Again it's sad to see such a colossal mistake being made because of greed. The old site will always have a special place, but it is no longer worth the cost. Will miss you all after next week.
moklianne

Nbr post: 127
Register: 8/25/02
Posted: 1/25/07, 12:45 PM

Wow, thank you Aala. I had no idea I could update my account on EQplayers and view the lite profile, both for free. I guess the only limitation is if you want key/flag, AA, skill, and spell info. Those you have to pay for. My profile is a bit buggy, there's a piece of meat not where its supposed to be. But I submitted a bug report for it. It is nice to see buffed/unbuffed stats.

Moklianne -Magelo
Danille

Nbr post: 24
Register: 4/3/03
Posted: 1/27/07, 6:00 PM

All you have to do is either click the button " EQPlayers Auto Update" in you game options window to sync eqplayers. Alternatively you can just type /eqplayers in game when you change your gear.

With all the missing gear and stats in your profile, it appears that you need to do that.

Danafox1

Nbr post: 26
Register: 4/21/02
Posted: 1/30/07, 8:22 AM

Crillan posted this...
"I've always used the free magelo but I was able to use alternate profiles and use EQ rankings. Now I can't do either of those things because EQ rankings isn't going to update to use the new magelo and magelo is screwing us over by not giving us alternate profiles any more. 24.95 is too much for me to want to get stuff you weren't charging for before. Going from free to 24.95 a year is out of the question. So far, the new magelo is a great tool, but it screwed every single free user over at the same time.

I loved using the alternate profiles to plan possible gear upgrades and to make specific sets of equipment like max accuracy, max backstab damage, max shielding etc. This was a great tool but now I can't use it.

I can have my character ranked, but I can't even look at the rankings. There's no point to have it ranked then. This will make rankings even less accurate than EQ rankings was. Granted EQ rankings had some fake profiles and stat padders but for the most part, they were accurate. Magelo rankings will be missing a lot of accurate profiles from the free users that don't bother ranking themselves.

Moving free features over to the premium side is lame and doubling the price for premium at the same time is lame. I'm not going to be getting premium ever because of this." --end quote

This person's post pretty much reflects everything I wanted to say and everything I felt when the new magelo was in the works and came out. I was in beta btw. Anyways, I like some folks who have posted at this time, would like to see a multi-tier type of compromise.

I used this service for free for many years, for my main and one high level alt. I always manually updated both profiles on magelo, I enjoyed it (gave me something to do when I was mega bored late at nite). I also mostly enjoyed the free background graphic, and the free alternate profiles especially for planning out my gear, that did wonders for me in saving me dkp in my guild by knowing what I wanted instead of bidding on anything and everything I saw. Oh yea and being able to see my guild tag was nice too. These were the only services I would use with magelo.

EQRankings was really nice when it was free, its a damn shame its not going to be updated any longer So even thou I would like to use rankings, I am using EQplayers rankings for free and its good enough for me atm. And I am also currently using the free service thats been gimped down by Magelo. I miss seeing my guild tag, and background, but mostly my alternate profiles. Oh well..

In closing I really miss the OLD FREE service, and I agree with whomever mentioned that I personally as a member of the EQ community didn't ask for a new magelo system, I was perfectly HAPPY WITH MY OLD ONE, and if there was a way to get the old magelo system back, I would consider the possibility to paying a small service fee for a years worth of subsciption, with some of the OLD FREE features in a new tier system in accordance to what services exactly does the customer use. That is the reason I agree with the multi-tier system in order to try to compromise with Magelo, because I really did like the old service. I know that the system was free for a long time, so I am glad I took really good advantage while it was, and I understand now that there is some $$$ to be made to keep up with what services are given now, and plus the magelo team needs to eat too in RL...

Anyway thats what I think about it.
Aatempco Skyewalker

Nbr post: 4
Register: 6/15/03
Posted: 1/30/07, 5:31 PM

It's amazing to see so many people bitch about the price increase. It's $2 a month! If you've played EQ for any length of time, you've invested hundreds of dollars. There's no free lunch in this world. If the fee is too pricey, don't buy the service. It's much better than EQ Players and I for one don't mind paying a fair price for the service.
Xaanru

Nbr post: 5
Register: 2/4/04
Posted: 1/31/07, 2:22 AM

well, not going to debate whether the price increase was "right" or anything of that sort. I found the service worthwhile for $12. a year. My subscription expired sometime recently, and when I came to renew, I saw $24.95. I didn't, and won't renew.

Thanks for providing a sevice i enjoyed. I'll continue ot use the free access as long as its available, although I would have preferred paying $12 for the old premium service.

I hope the price change works for you.
Qill

Nbr post: 16
Register: 6/8/05
Posted: 2/6/07, 10:55 AM

EQPlayers Leadership boards have been right once in the last seven days. No wonder it's free. It's a real shame EQ can't get it's own rankings right.
Danille

Nbr post: 24
Register: 4/3/03
Posted: 2/6/07, 8:48 PM

No need to post untruths. I have been a member for over 5 months and outside of a few link items in TSS EQPlayers is 100% accurate with my ingame character. Just have to have the options turned on to sync automaticaly. What is your ingame name?

sadwanderer

Nbr post: 20
Register: 6/28/04
Posted: 2/7/07, 5:42 PM

Once I was a premium member.... and as stated before in previous posts $25 for the same thing I used to pay half that for is the cause of that registered user tag to the left. I didnt want all these "neat" eye candy features. I just want my autoupdater, background pic and some music. Hell Id pay $15, I know about cost inflation. So long magelo. I hope you learn the error of your ways and when your books start showing a loss, youll think again about a price tier.
Polara

Nbr post: 1
Register: 7/21/02
Posted: 2/13/07, 9:16 PM

Well I for one won't be upping my subscription. I only use it for my sigs
laenea

Nbr post: 8
Register: 6/12/05
Posted: 2/22/07, 5:51 PM

I too have been a long time subscriber. The price of $12.95 was worth it to me. I'm not complaining about the fact that they've raised it. I'm only saying this. I don't use it enough anymore, and with my 5 accounts, I don't find VALUE in the $50/yr it will now cost me. *I've added 2 accounts since signing up*

It was a good service when I found value in it. I'm sure it's still a good server, but not to me. I won't use SoE's EQ Players either, I don't find value in that.

Good luck and safe hunting to all...now I'm off to find the "Cancel Subscription" button.
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 2/22/07, 7:04 PM

Since it's not a subscription you have, but rather a year of service after paying a one-time fee, I don't think you will find one .