Login / Sign up
> > > $24.95???

Messages in topic: $24.95???
paradisel

Nbr post: 13
Register: 3/12/02
Posted: 11/24/06, 4:22 AM

Now if YOU do know all this, then tell us why you do not create your own magelo for that magic price you are asking for.

I believe what you meant to say is the magic price we've been paying. I think the majority of us protesting the price have clearly stated we'd have been happy with the old magelo look etc for the regular price. Or would have, after the attitudes shown here I'm not so sure anymore.

I maintain a guild website and forums and rpp database and pay for my bandwidth. I am currently working on a database for my rpp section.

And why would I want vista for 30.00 or any price? I beta'd it since longhorn. I'll get a free copy and I have zero interest in an o/s that uses 5 times the resources of my current one.
Dyfrin Deathseeker

Nbr post: 91
Register: 10/31/01
Posted: 11/24/06, 4:24 PM

I agree with this para:
I believe what you meant to say is the magic price we've been paying. I think the majority of us protesting the price have clearly stated we'd have been happy with the old magelo look etc for the regular price.

But why then did EQ get raised from 9.89 to 12, now to 14.95? Did people complain? Yes they did.. old boards went nuts. Now the old boards are gone, along with any kind of class boards. You still have a place to express opinion here, why do people insist on making numerous posts about "I'm leaving, i'm not renewing, i'm suing over breach of confidentiality" or whatever that really doesn't do anything but bring strife.
Judge the turkey before its even cooked fully. Sure a lot of things "should" have gone live before pay site started over, but things rarely go as planned, and you had people complaining about old version not doing TSS.

Prices go up due to cost of everything from mcdonalds people live on to the gas prices.
I can't see how people can come here and complain, not discuss, but flat out complain and threaten about leaving services instead of asking why it was actually increased, or if the tiered system could get implemented.

Do you think people who run a project appreciate discussion or complains/threats? Suggest something useable. I put an open offer on bidding for replication of the website and programming every patch. Will see what I come up with. Guessing 6 figures though.

Vista reference was based on public pricing so outrageous for something students and anyone with any connections can get for the cost of the CD. I don't see people flaming microsoft for that on their newsgroups.

[Dyfrin|javascript:channelProfile("eq",26510)]
Half-Elf Lyricist
Fairmane

Nbr post: 15
Register: 3/28/04
Posted: 11/25/06, 2:16 AM

$24.95 for a year of premium service just isn't that bad. I pay more for that per month for my multiple Everquest accounts.

I also love the new functionality and the fact that you'll finally be tracking keys and flags. That will help me immensely in a game world where many characters are judged on the flags they have. Lastly, I plan to use the new signature feature.

They don't have to give anyone anything for free. They never did. If they want to charge more for bandwidth, service, server space, and features, that's their choice.

But come on, folks. You're actually complaining about $2 a month? You probably spent more than that just logging in today.

/boggle
Vaelu

Nbr post: 4
Register: 10/30/01
Posted: 11/25/06, 3:56 AM

Personally, I think the jump in price so suddenly was a bad move. It's probably whats generating all of the anger in this thread- if it were a gradual change like EQ's price, it would have went over better.

That being said, the only real problem I see with Magelo is that it's taking so long for the database to be filled in. Here are my profiles for my new rogue:

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1334862
http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/lite/index.vm?characterId=429497018984

If you'd notice, several of my slots are empty on Magelo. Is it because of TSS gear? No. Ravenscale has been around for, what, 6 years now? Haze Panther gear has been around since Velious - but it's not in the database for me to put in my profile, despite having the updated running behind EQ to send data to the site.

And that, for something people pay for, is an issue. An issue that EQPlayers doesn't have, for funtionality that I do not need to pay for. I was a Premium subscriber, but until I can at least see old-world gear on my profile, I'm not anymore.

Magelo is still, imo, worth the cost for the search functions. But... not with so much missing.
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11396
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 11/25/06, 5:01 AM

Vaelu, all the Ravenscale and Haze Panther stuff have been in the database since 2001 ... ( Check with the quick search). Are you unable to equip it ?
Vaelu

Posted: 11/25/06, 8:15 AM

Aye, that and other items that I assume aren't in yet (TSS items). I go to:

My Characters -> Manage Character (Imrielle) -> click main under profiles -> select legging spot -> type Haze in the box, click search and get "No items found.".
I get this with several items - Ravenscale, Haze Panther, Midnight Mantle, Nokk items. I figured they weren't in the database anymore, even though my rogue on Ayonae Ro had worn them years ago on the old Magelo site.
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 11/25/06, 11:46 AM

Umm, your profile shows you're a Half Elf Bard, not a Rogue. Bards can't use the Haze Panther stuff, so it's logical that it doesn't show up for them.
Vaelu

Posted: 11/25/06, 12:45 PM

Thats odd. On my manage page, it reads Rogue - which is what she is =/ I'll go fiddle with it, I suppose.

Edit: I deleted the old profile (which was still showing Rogue for me 0.o Odd?), and created a new one paying especial care for class and such , and can now equip haze panther and ravenscale. Yay!

I am wondering if editting my base stats could have possibly broken the class? I geared up the profile after creating it, since I couldn't recall my base stats or what I was wearing.
paradisel

Nbr post: 13
Register: 3/12/02
Posted: 11/26/06, 2:37 PM

What I and a large number of people are saying is that we don't use any of the other junk they stuffed in for 24.95

For us Magelo is a link. We paid for premium either to show our support for it or to be able to 1 click update or both.

I use magelo mostly to look at my friends and guildys profiles and help them with upgrades. I have never used any of these toys they've added (or had).

For a link 24.95 is obscene. Offer two options 1 barebones here ya go here's your link and auto updater. 2. Weeee here's all the other junk we're packaging with it that you can already find on a number of other sites you've probably been using for years. Don't force people who use it for what it always has been to pay more for stuff they don't use. Even eqplayers offers a teired system where you can purchase functionality or functionality + stuff you don't need.

Yes the sudden skyrocket jump in price also has many upset but I think the majority have a valid complaint. A link isn't worth 24.95. And I'm quite confident a link is all magelo is for 51% of the users. /shrug maybe I'm wrong.

I keep hearing about all these toys and that's why the price increase but I don't use them. I have Allah + Illia's for my information like what I'm told is being providing and the combination of those two offer me a hell of a lot more information then I assume magelo is providing.
milkandcheese1

Nbr post: 2
Register: 5/20/02
Posted: 11/27/06, 6:24 AM

And it would appear from numerous responses that they are happy to let you use EQplayers for just the link function. You get what you paid for, and pretty much at the price you have been paying. Had a long thing about alt profiles missing, but I found your post saying they are incoming in the next patch. That's what I pay the premium fee for, so while I'd rather pay $20 (I do think the $20 mark is truly a mental block for many), I'm willing to consider the features based on my usage in a calmer fashion than others. Admittedly, I have 4 accts, it's far more cost-efficient for me than EQplayers. I hate the memory hog nature of the java interface, no matter how "cool" it looks, but that's just me being cranky. Several have suggested a tiered price structure, let me suggest a different idea, if you are concerned that you may have overpriced your market. If $25 is what you should ultimately get (how does 12 to 25 =150%? Did I fail math?), you could phase the increase in with all renewals at $20 for this coming year, and $25 after that. Gives a bit more cushion to those suffering from sticker shock (or concerned with wife aggro over their "stupid" and now on the cost radar hobby), while still providing a significant increase to fund further projects, and recoup R&D costs.
calliopeia

Nbr post: 60
Register: 7/4/02
Posted: 11/27/06, 12:01 PM

I'm incredibly pleased by the speed of response and correction with the new Magelo. In fact, do you guys want a job? If I need to renew at $25, I'll renew at $25 and feel it's a bargain. Most college students spend more on Starbucks in a week.

Thanks for the hard work,
Calli
Maeluwen

Nbr post: 8
Register: 2/7/05
Posted: 11/28/06, 1:54 PM

1) I like the new magelo.

2) $25 is over my threshold for this service. I won't renew.
Cenallron

Nbr post: 7
Register: 5/20/03
Posted: 11/28/06, 2:36 PM

Wooo that was a long thread, and I know this isn't any better then most posts, and not very constructive, but give me a break lol been up for almost 27 hours and on my last smoke / cup of coffee lol

Comming from someone who like others here, know how to script... really its a lot of f@#kin work lol I luckally renewed my subscription right before the price update wipes sweat from brow

I have to agree and disagree with a lot of the post here (duh everyone else has!) Most of the features are nice, most of them are not! Another thing is that some features are slipping, some are being replaced, and some are just clearly not working. boggle

Compairing Magelo with EQplayers is really absolutly no option... I paied for ALL of EQplayers for one month... and found myself missing Magelo. This will be the response from I bet you 85% of the people who are bitching here.... As it goes....

"Rome was not built in a day..."

Give them some time... As some have said, $1 a month felt like donating, $2 a month seems like paying... Well then give EQplayers another try, pay $17 a month for all their features and see how it works out for you. Pay more for less is the way most should see it. I love Magelo, and I would pay more to help them out. So $1 more a month... really isnt that bad guys.... But then again, most went almost 4 years without Magelo, I think they can do it again. Just really, stop paying if you dont want to, kick back, and watch the boards. Things will be improved, and everything will be fixed.

Maybe in a year, they can keep me too... but like most, I would like to see some more improvements to the actuall profile that we are paying for, other then something you can get for free (I.E. The Ranking, Gear Links which can be just done in game)
Toxics Slowdeath

Nbr post: 2
Register: 11/28/06
Posted: 11/28/06, 6:54 PM

I'm kinda piss acturly, I mean you have to pay more to get more, WTF can't we have our custom backgrounds for free as we did on the old magelo? why do we have to pay for that feater?, that isn't right

Drop the fee for custom background to tell you the truth I'm on the Test server and auto updating on the test server is impossible and there no way in hell or on earth I'm going pay $25 just so I can have a custom background

zbiknecromancer

Nbr post: 8
Register: 5/8/04
Posted: 11/29/06, 5:26 AM

hmm alot are missing the point. money talks bullshit walks. everyone wants it and wants alot of it even if a crap load of people "cancel subscriptions" the huge price hike that the people have already paid for has made up way beyond the people that quit. no i dont agree with the price , yes they should drop it down , no i dont want the new feature crap but aslong as a few people pay the fee it makes up for the people they lost. jelan wants more cash pure and simple and anyone who says "oh i do it not for the money but for the people , and the EQ community blah blah are lieing. we might as well get use to it or dont use it at all because complaining is really going to get no where imo

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1016002