Login / Sign up
> > > Magelo Update 3.0.22 out, JRE 6 is now required

Messages in topic: Magelo Update 3.0.22 out, JRE 6 is now required
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11406
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 3/17/07, 1:36 PM

Magelo Update 3.0.22 is out, hopefully fixing systray issues that occurred in the previous version. And , starting with this version, Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 is now required.

You can download JRE 6 at the following url:
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_manual2.jsp

Despite being advertised for Vista, it works perfectly fine under other Windows operating systems, XP included.
kintai

Nbr post: 30
Register: 11/28/01
Posted: 3/17/07, 2:40 PM

So VISTA is the only OS supported now? No links to D/L java for XP, and it seems the ones of us not stupid enough to upgrade to vista are screwed? Took a stroll through the java site and found 5.0 11.. that good enough?

Thx
MiraMyn

Nbr post: 6
Register: 11/3/04
Posted: 3/17/07, 2:40 PM

Thanks Jelan this one seems to work.

One question, how do I set a shortcut on my desktop to run Magelo? The new version seems to wipe the existing shortcut
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11406
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 3/17/07, 3:10 PM

As i said in my post Kintai, despite being advertised for Vista, the JRE 6 you can download on the link i provided, works perfectly fine under windows XP.

MiraMyn, to install a shortcut:
  • Open your control panel
  • Click on the Java icon
  • In the General tab, by the Internet temp files area, click "display", not sure this is exactly the word, i got it in french on my computer.
  • You will now see all webstart applications which have been installed on your computer, right click on Magelo Update and choose "Install shortcuts"
Endordie

Nbr post: 92
Register: 10/31/02
Posted: 3/17/07, 3:26 PM

Java Runtime Version 1.5.0_11

CONGRATULATIONS, you have the Latest version of Java

is this not the latest? The link above had a version verifier button .. That is the result I received

Merescata
75 Vah Shir BST
Tribunal
kintai

Nbr post: 30
Register: 11/28/01
Posted: 3/17/07, 3:31 PM

excellent. Thanks
Onetree
Advisor

Nbr post: 2781
Register: 10/29/01
Posted: 3/17/07, 5:36 PM

Endordie, Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0 (aka. Update 6) is the most current version. It's been out for a long time, actually.

Why does java.com's java verifier lie to you? Their Quality Control seems to have missed a failed version string comparison, resulting in a false positive. /shrug

Earthkeeper Onetree Tallbarque of Maelin Starpyre <Valoran>
PoM Pilot & Keeper of the Original PoM FAQ
Grandmaster Jeweler & Baker w/ Expert Trophies
Need help? Check out our FAQ. Java Runtime Environment (JRE) help can be found here.
kwahnyin

Nbr post: 25
Register: 6/14/05
Posted: 3/17/07, 5:57 PM

Jesus. Now I cannot use your software. Java 6 requires SP2, and that will not install correctly on my computer without my comp going into a never ending reboot loop. There are many people who cannot install SP2... so your software will not run for everybody.

So now what??
MiraMyn

Register: 11/3/04
Posted: 3/17/07, 7:45 PM

Worked great. Thanks a lot Jelan
Darkmatil

Nbr post: 73
Register: 6/10/02
Posted: 3/17/07, 8:15 PM

This is going to make a lot of people mad. If you go to www.java.com and try to download Java...it will not bring you to version 6, it will bring you to version 5. For some reason, Sun wants 5 (which is version 5 update 11 now) to be the mainstream Java. If you want to get version 6, it's pretty deep in on the site (good thing you provided a link). Oh well, I just got 6 and it's working for me.

Darkmatil Bonebringer
Necromancer from Cazic Thule
Crimson Talon
TobermoryTo

Nbr post: 43
Register: 1/3/03
Posted: 3/18/07, 12:10 AM

Can confirm JRE6 working fine on a Win2k (SP4) box.

You will want to plaster a BIG MESSAGE by your link at http://eq.magelo.com/magelo_update.jspa to people that they can ignore the claims that JRE6 is Vista only, though. .
Destil02

Nbr post: 15
Register: 12/17/05
Posted: 3/18/07, 7:13 AM

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 is now required.

Why?

Can't say I appreciate being forced to install software not designed to run with my version of windows... now if Java screws up my system (again) I cant blame it on Sun...

Nashm ~ Officer of <Dissention>, 7th Hammer
Missa ~ Officer of <Dissention>, 7th Hammer
"I say nothing for the good of myself, but I'm still talking , and you're not listening." - VNV Nation - Chrome
Jarlax

Nbr post: 18
Register: 10/22/01
Posted: 3/18/07, 10:32 AM

Ok.. now the icon in the menu bar is fixed.. now I'm getting "blue screen of deaths" - and I just dare you to say my java or WinXP is corrupted.
TobermoryTo

Nbr post: 43
Register: 1/3/03
Posted: 3/18/07, 11:52 AM

Given the thousands of users of MU, and that you are the only person that has posted here (or in the bug forum) of serious bsod issues, tbh I'd be surprised if your pwitty screens were NOT caused by a problem on your system. Dont moan, and go fix it
xordar
Premium User

Register: 11/17/03
Posted: 3/18/07, 1:19 PM

I develop Java applications. There are some issues with compatibility between Java 5 and 6 at runtime. Also, there are new features (including the taskbar docking feature) which are new or done with new methods that were not available in earlier versions. Usually this is not a serious issue with Java. However, Sun defaulting Vista users to Java6 has forced a lot of us to maintain multiple versions of our software. Java makes it so much easier to produce quality application at a rapid pace. This allows us to create, patch, and improve software quickly, without worrying about the enduser's operating system. Considering the tight integration with Magelo's database and website, Java allows it all to be one fluid application, hence making it much easier to develop and maintain. Every indication is that Magelo is a small operation and every little boost to productivity is welcomed with open arms.

Sun has put a kink in our system by defaulting Vista users to Java6 and XP users to Java5. Very soon however, XP users will find Java6 to be norm on their systems (especially since Java7 is under development for a 2008 release). I am not privy to the Magelo code, but it may be easier for everyone to add Java6 to their computers than to have Jelan maintain separate version and still keep up with SOE's patches. It is perfectly fine to have both Java 5 and 6 on your computer. Good Java applications check for versions and launch themselves accordingly.