Login / Sign up
> > > EverQuest patch

Messages in topic: EverQuest patch
Aala

Nbr post: 63
Register: 12/11/01
Posted: 10/11/07, 5:15 AM

"I'm not privy to the details, but almost every patch will end up breaking MU, at which point they need to go in and figure out how the game is storing things anew."

It was stated that the "new" Magelo Updater can automatically find most of the stuff that it needs without manual intervention (new as in the Java-based one, the previous one was a binary .exe). And it was stated in the posts above that the reason for the delay this time is "some other things they're working on". And, this latest patch ceratinly seems not to have much in the way of data structure changes. The priority should be on getting the core service back online, rather than enhancements etc, don't you think? New features are nice, but not at the expense of the core component.
Jelan
Admin

Nbr post: 11399
Register: 5/4/01
Posted: 10/11/07, 5:55 AM

Hi Cravin, we already renewed the certificate and we will push the new one for the next patch.

Hi Aala, I completely agree with you however sometimes when you are refactoring some core components, it lets your program in a no functional state, well it does work but few things does not work anymore. At this point, imo, it's un acceptable to deliver it until those above things work again.

It's an entirely different thing than working on new features which should not delay patching core components.
Aala

Nbr post: 63
Register: 12/11/01
Posted: 10/11/07, 6:57 AM

Okay, understood, thank you for the clarification.
simonne

Nbr post: 1
Register: 2/15/07
Posted: 10/11/07, 2:44 PM

So can you let us know when this all going to up and running i need to update thos so i can get in a guild i been waiting a week and eveyday it's it will should be up tomorrow

Gary5546

Nbr post: 38
Register: 3/25/02
Posted: 10/11/07, 4:05 PM

If you applied to a new guild a week ago, your Magelo profile would have been up to date at that time. If the decision to admit you to the guild is dependent upon an updated version of your Magelo a week later, I guess I'd have to wonder what has changed in your profile in that time. And if there has been significant upgrades to your gear or flags in the past week, seems to me that you could simply explain that to them.
Quit blaming Magelo for your personal situations. As Jelan has indicated, they expect it to be up soon.

If you are in a big hurry, there is always EQPlayers profiles which are available to anyone, the information isn't accurate, but it's there.

Fairmane

Nbr post: 15
Register: 3/28/04
Posted: 10/11/07, 5:09 PM

Well, I can sympathize. If he says it should be up "no later than today" then he has a commitment to his subscribers to have it up "no later than today". I'm not one to complain, but in my profession if I have a deadline, I have to meet it. It should be no different for someone who is self employed and collecting our funds for this service.

You said use EQ Players but it doesn't work. Well, at least it's free. The auto-update feature here, I'm paying for.

I do understand that changes to the game require changes in coding. I also understand that it takes time and sometimes it's more difficult to do. What I don't like or fail to agree with is a lack of communication or deadlines that come and go with nothing to show for them.
Megtonya

Nbr post: 2
Register: 9/11/04
Posted: 10/11/07, 5:45 PM

So in other words, you have no idea as to when you will have the reconfigurations completed and get Magelo back online?
RStefan01

Nbr post: 10
Register: 3/31/03
Posted: 10/11/07, 7:41 PM

Blah, my premium subscription expires today lol
Basleas

Register: 6/3/05
Posted: 10/11/07, 7:44 PM

deleted
Jana

Register: 3/27/02
Posted: 10/11/07, 7:49 PM

Id like to think there will be some compensation as well for this down time, $24 might not be much to some, but it is too some for a service that dont do what it is supposed too, even the local cable company will compensate you for lost service time if you report the outage to them.
Id like to see 1 date set and either MU working or a dang good reason as too why it isnt, if you think its gonna take a week, give yourself a week and a half for unforseen problems, im sure not many people care how long its down, so long there will be compansation for the outage and a met deadline.
Babbap

Register: 11/20/06
Posted: 10/11/07, 8:07 PM

when can i sync again!
Pullzem

Nbr post: 17
Register: 5/17/03
Posted: 10/11/07, 8:28 PM

Actually, on the 8th they said it should be ready on the 9th...then yesterday, he promised no later than today. Seems there's more problems than expected but I agree that you shouldn't give dates your product will be working if you can't back them up.
Akael

Nbr post: 18
Register: 8/12/07
Posted: 10/11/07, 8:30 PM

Indeed. It's not a question of if 24 bucks is a big deal to you, it's the principle of the thing. I'm annoyed that it's been down for this long after an apparently minor patch, and if it's down for weeks as has been alluded after the expansion comes out, I will be absolutely enraged. If this service were being prorated for lost time, I'd be fine with it - but every day that this stupid thing is down while I'm continuing to pay for it really really, REALLY ^$%&es me off. I don't mind long outages and missed deadlines for service restoration if I know I'm getting an extension to make up for it - but if I'm not, how do I know they're really working hard to get it fixed? For all I know, the Magelo team is out playing mini-golf and knocking back beers and laughing about how gullible their customers are. I realize that's unlikely, but the point is, they need to be concerned by the fact that every uncompensated day that the service isn't running, the more likely that scenario starts looking. It's just plain terrible business sense.
Xilraazz

Nbr post: 10
Register: 10/10/01
Posted: 10/11/07, 8:31 PM

so you want a credit of like 50 cents?

Akael

Nbr post: 18
Register: 8/12/07
Posted: 10/11/07, 8:34 PM

Actually, I' prefer my subscription end-date simply got moved back a few days when this sort of thing happens. But if it came down to it, yes, giving every user a 50 cent credit makes Magelo look much more reputable than if they just say "Sorry, we'll give you what you paid for when we get done, whenever that may be... and hey, where'd I put my beer..?". As I said, it's not a question of whether the money's a big thing to me - it's that I know 50c X 100s of users is a big deal to Magelo, and shows that they're trying to ensure everyone gets what they pay for.