Login / Sign up
> > > Ranking Round Table – Sorting classes

Messages in topic: Ranking Round Table – Sorting classes
Abeeza

Nbr post: 2
Register: 4/25/05
Posted: 11/21/06, 3:27 PM

For magicians I'd would say HP then mana.

jerm436

Nbr post: 5
Register: 11/20/04
Posted: 11/21/06, 3:37 PM

Didn't think to check if this was already suggested, but even if it has been it's justed added emphasis on changing the ranking default criteria for SK's to Hit Points/Armor Class. Let's face it, us SK's need to be able to avoid or minimize damage as much as possible cause those clerics are tunnel visioning ojn the warrior as usual so a heal anytime soon is probably not going to happen LOL.
Bolas

Nbr post: 75
Register: 3/2/02
Posted: 11/21/06, 4:50 PM

>Didn't think to check if this was already suggested, but even if it has been it's justed added emphasis on changing the ranking default criteria for SK's to Hit Points/Armor Class. Let's face it, us SK's need to be able to avoid or minimize damage as much as possible cause those clerics are tunnel visioning ojn the warrior as usual so a heal anytime soon is probably not going to happen LOL.

You mean Armor Class/Hitpoints, not Hit Points/Armor Class, right?

# http://eq.magelo.com/profile/429220
Anatis

Nbr post: 46
Register: 5/26/03
Posted: 11/21/06, 4:51 PM

Enc = HP first, then possibly even AC, then Mana, but Mana / AC interchangable really.
HP is top of the list tho.
Liannon Wolfsong

Nbr post: 1
Register: 1/2/04
Posted: 11/21/06, 6:22 PM

For druids...

By talking about ranking, I am presuming we mean "who is the most effective druid on the server"? The problem is, druids are pretty complex creatures, differing in job function according to level and which mob we are fighting. And unfortunately, you can't quantify skill like you can gear. But since we have to define it and put a number on it...

I'd have to agree with xzaviar:

Druid : MANA > AA > HP

IMO, mana always has to be first. Druids are spell intensive. An OOM druid is pretty much worthless (except for maybe kiting a mob around, or clicking their epic weapon, yippee). This is true whether raid, group, or solo. So I can argue, by contrast, that the druid with the highest mana should have the highest ranking.

Druids have so many different job descriptions, they have to work extra-hard to really shine at any one ability. They are the "Swiss Army knives" of EQ. And the way that a druid sharpens their abilities is to earn AAs. This also is true whether raid, group or solo.

Yes, HP is important, but in certain circumstances. If a level 25+ druid in a group is taking damage, it probably means something is wrong — most likely the druid is not managing agro well, but there are other reasons.

Where I see HP being most important is on certain high level raids where mobs have an AE effect. You have to be able to survive the AE.

In a way, I'd say HP is actually more important than AAs because of that. But remember, you're talking about a select group of encounters. On a day-to-day basis, whether in raid or in group, you're going to see *WAY* more instances where you need to use the Healing Adept line of AAs, for example, than instances of needing to survive an 8k AE. So since AA is more useful across the board, regardless of type of mob encounter, group vs. raid, level of toon, guilded vs. non-guilded...I'd have to say that for the purpose of rankings, AA > HP.

Other druids may disagree, I am sure, based on their play style. This happens to be my 2cp worth.

Liannon Wolfsong
74 Halfling Druid
Pie Maiden of Final Empire, Povar server
Doazic

Register: 6/28/04
Posted: 11/21/06, 9:27 PM

Magicians: HP>Mana
zuuel

Nbr post: 5
Register: 12/18/03
Posted: 11/22/06, 12:19 AM

For SKs Hps AC for ranking I would say. Ac is realy big for SK/pallys but no need for 5K AC hhe. A good balance is best if ya ask me.
Tanaqqa

Nbr post: 9
Register: 9/8/03
Posted: 11/22/06, 6:59 AM

Enchanter:

HP first
Mana second.

Enchanter class has so many ways to refill the mana bar mid fight that running out of mana really doesn't happen very often.

My main reason for running out of mana is running out of HP first

Girii La`Pooka

Antonius Bayle
Lerbmag

Register: 4/20/02
Posted: 11/22/06, 8:58 AM

SK = AC first
HP second
apa

Nbr post: 3
Register: 7/10/03
Posted: 11/22/06, 2:19 PM

SK = AC
Bolas

Posted: 11/22/06, 2:37 PM

>For SKs Hps AC for ranking I would say. Ac is realy big for SK/pallys but no need for 5K AC hhe. A good balance is best if ya ask me.

The error in your thinking is that you can't get 5k ac without having a buttload of hp. You can get a buttload of hp while having sucky ac.

Show me a 5k ac tank, and I'll show ya one with way more than enough hp to do the job.

WarriorKing

Nbr post: 6
Register: 3/4/05
Posted: 11/22/06, 4:07 PM

Well if its done by popularity then AC will be the default for warriors but I think its a shame. (pay attention to this part Bolas cause you haven't understood what I meant about HP AAs for warriors yet) HPs are the one stat that Warriors exceed all other classes in and some want to ignore it in favor of AC, a stat in which we are 3rd best. Warriors get a line of AAs that do nothing but add 100 HP for ever level of the AAs you have and we get 10 of them equaling a 1,000 HP boost. We don't get AAs that give us 20 AC per level. The only thing we have that makes us stand head and shoulders above the rest of the tank classes is HP and to ignore what I consider to be the defining trait of my class is just foolish IMO.

But because some people are just now realizing how important AC is to tanking ability it seems as if our best stat will now be nothing but a tie breaker.

Tankenstein Monster - Masters Reborn - Stromm
werratai

Nbr post: 3
Register: 3/16/03
Posted: 11/22/06, 5:46 PM

For the SK class AC is the only ranking i ever look at.
gruntsters

Nbr post: 7
Register: 2/6/02
Posted: 11/22/06, 6:30 PM

Wizard

mana > hp > AA
Bolas

Posted: 11/22/06, 8:42 PM

>Well if its done by popularity then AC will be the default for warriors but I think its a shame. (pay attention to this part Bolas cause you haven't understood what I meant about HP AAs for warriors yet) HPs are the one stat that Warriors exceed all other classes in and some want to ignore it in favor of AC, a stat in which we are 3rd best. Warriors get a line of AAs that do nothing but add 100 HP for ever level of the AAs you have and we get 10 of them equaling a 1,000 HP boost. We don't get AAs that give us 20 AC per level. The only thing we have that makes us stand head and shoulders above the rest of the tank classes is HP and to ignore what I consider to be the defining trait of my class is just foolish IMO.

>But because some people are just now realizing how important AC is to tanking ability it seems as if our best stat will now be nothing but a tie breaker.

Who am I to say how you should rank warriors. Rank 'em however ya like. Best way would probably be some combination of hp & ac, but what do I know about warriors, I'm not a warrior.

In general, for tanks (war pal shd) then yeah ac is more important than hp. But if warriors continue to want to be ranked by hp, so be it – all the more ac augs for us sk's.

I'm specifically talking about shadowknights, for the most part – the class I do know. SK's should be ranked by AC (assuming max'd shielding and avoidance), and anything else is just a tie-breaker, with AA's & HP's as the most likely candidates for tie-breakers.

I know that warriors get hp aa's. So what? If you want to rank them by hp, go for it.

If I was gonna come up with a way to rank warriors, I'd filter out all warriors that don't have 35+ shielding and 100+ avoidance, then I'd come up with a "tank rating" of hitpoints plus six times armor class, and rank 'em by that.

-Bolas