Login / Sign up
> > > Magelo WoW beta opened, new EQ features are coming!

Messages in topic: Magelo WoW beta opened, new EQ features are coming!
Drazzminius
Advisor

Nbr post: 324
Register: 11/3/02
Posted: 5/30/08, 10:17 PM

"You can't anymore, given it's really rare to run multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, we decided to drop this functionality for a simpler user interface."

I must admit that I'm adding to the list of people who preferred the multi-character sync. I could leave Magelo Update running in the background and whether I two boxed or just played different characters throughout the day/week/whatever, I could just sync them all when I got around to it.

Rather than reprogram the entire thing, maybe add in and auto-sync function that would sync each of the characters (at the User's discretion) while they were online? Since sync'ing is a Premium User Function, it should be within the capabilities to integrate this.

EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator
Necrotalk Admin
EQ Traders Super Moderator
Shelearns

Nbr post: 143
Register: 1/16/06
Posted: 5/30/08, 11:15 PM

I have to agree thats a poor decision to make imo. I personally know ALOT of people that multi-box on the same computer, & I do occasionally 2box on the same computer myself. What was the reasoning behind this other then the untrue statement of few people do it?
Ioldari8

Nbr post: 19
Register: 8/18/02
Posted: 5/31/08, 12:06 AM

"I know about 30 people - out of 80 in my guild - who 2 box (or more) on the same machine. Day in, day out. That's not really rare, it's incredibly common.

That multiple session functionality is vital for Magelo Sync to be any use at all to me. If it's not there by the time it comes for me to pay again in four months, you're going to be down $50 - and of five people I spoke to this evening, three said the same thing. Between that and still not having any kind of handle on heroic stats. you are in serious danger of killing your revenue stream.

Frankly I don't think you've ever asked if it's rare. I suggest you ask - in a very interactive way - all your premium users who have 2 or more EQ game slots. If the figure you get for 2-boxing on the same machine is more than 10%, then you NEED to fix this. Personally I'm betting it's over 40% - in my experience, the rarer situation is having MORE than one machine."

as much as your right in what your saying about the boxing situation, i think its unfair to come out with the threats. its been all of a few hours, and your already making threats? maybe like the rest of us, you could voice your concern in a reasonable manner, and if they dont take the feedback on board and its still the same in a months time, then make threats, but why now? they have made such an effort with this new thing they got going, yes on the whole its sucks quite alot, but you can see they have tried hard to improve it somewhat. and above all its working (somewhat) within a few hours of an emergency patch

someone mentioned the magelo sync link, it seems to be a rollover icon which could be quite confusing to some. it says magelo update, to go to press it and when the mouse hovers over it, it changes to magelo sync, cute but confusing.
gsmith2885

Nbr post: 4
Register: 4/20/07
Posted: 5/31/08, 12:16 AM

I love this! I would make the suggestion though to add a tab for current stats. I wont have to go to the bank to see if I have an item anymore. Great job.
joethemaster

Nbr post: 17
Register: 8/17/02
Posted: 5/31/08, 3:48 AM

Jelan wrote:
You can't anymore, given it's really rare to run multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, we decided to drop this functionality for a simpler user interface.

I also am voicing my opinion that this was a decision that was not completely thought out and should be reevaluated very quickly. I miss being able to have 4 accounts logged in and then cycle through each character and be able to update 4 accounts worth of characters in one fail swoop. It would be a shame if this lack of flexibility would make it so people would not even bother running it due to the rigidness of the current software to support what they once had the ability to do.
rswiders

Nbr post: 18
Register: 6/10/03
Posted: 5/31/08, 3:59 AM

Might as well add my displeasure to the list... I also box several accounts on the same computer and rarely get out of EQ entirely. This is going to make the functionality of syncing my accounts entirely worthless as it is more then a minor inconvenience to log each account out and then one by one log each character in for syncing. You obviously did not ask your user base how they used the program, and that is the first and foremost rule of user interface programming. Shame on you.

Darkmatil

Nbr post: 73
Register: 6/10/02
Posted: 5/31/08, 4:10 AM

I have to agree, there are a lot of people that 2 box on the same PC, me included. Please bring that feature back.

Darkmatil Bonebringer
Necromancer from Cazic Thule
Crimson Talon
Clarrity

Nbr post: 2
Register: 10/31/04
Posted: 5/31/08, 6:08 AM

(Sigh) I have heard nothing but complaints about this issue. I am also one of the many who boxes on the same PC, and to be honest if this feature is not going to be brought back then I and a few others have said we shall not be renewing our magelo subscriptons.
OptimisticFool

Nbr post: 84
Register: 4/21/03
Posted: 5/31/08, 6:20 AM

(Sigh) I have heard nothing but complaints about this issue. I am also one of the many who boxes on the same PC, and to be honest if this feature is not going to be brought back then I and a few others have said we shall not be renewing our magelo subscriptons.

[sarcasm on]
Yeah, right, you will be using eqplayers to keep track on your multiple accounts and alts.
The information on eqplayers is always more accurate and its always up to date. It syncing really fast and is much more convenient to use then magelo. I can easy use eqplayers to keep track on my various mules who are carrying various tradeskill ingrediants and I can use eqplayers easy to track them down fast, so I don't have to check multiple characters.
Desideratus

Nbr post: 16
Register: 3/15/04
Posted: 5/31/08, 6:26 AM

"as much as your right in what your saying about the boxing situation, i think its unfair to come out with the threats. its been all of a few hours, and your already making threats? maybe like the rest of us, you could voice your concern in a reasonable manner, and if they dont take the feedback on board and its still the same in a months time, then make threats, but why now? they have made such an effort with this new thing they got going, yes on the whole its sucks quite alot, but you can see they have tried hard to improve it somewhat. and above all its working (somewhat) within a few hours of an emergency patch"

I wasn't trying to make a threat - I made a statement which I thought was factual (I will pay for functional Magelo premium, with a Sync that has at least the functionality of Magelo Update) - as influence to try and change a decision that has already been made. I'm not complaining about the fact that Sync doesn't sync properly yet - though it doesn't, I'm happy to wait for that to be fixed. But Jelan, in this thread, made a justifying comment as to why this new Magelo Sync is so much less functional than Magelo Update, with a really seriously wrong statement about how "really rare" 2-boxing on one machine is.

Ideally I'd like to see Magelo Update patched and restored until Magelo Sync is a replacement for it, because at present it isn't. If the reason why Magelo Sync is no use is because it was designed for WoW functionalilty, then he needs 2 update programs, one for WoW one for EQ.

Maybe it really is "really rare" to 2 box on one machine on WoW. It's NOT rare on EQ. If he's changed from building for EQ to building for WoW, then we need honesty about it. EQPlayers nearly works now - for the first time ever - and it really won't be worth paying a Magelo premium subscription without a well-functioning Sync/Update capability. WITH one - especially if it doesn't hog resources and creates a useful item database, as it was beginning to do - then it is fully worthwhile.

Of course, if Magelo is ignoring all but the first EQ session it sees, then its database is NOT capturing all the data from the other sessions ... so if a second session is looting the mobs, etc, Magelo Sync won't be seeing the data it needs to be useful for its own purposes.

Me, I just want to be able to sync all my toons at once, from both the EQ sessions I will have had running. As it stands Magelo Sync is useless to me: I'm not logging off one of my EQ sessions, then slowly going through my toons one by one, remembering to zone them, and individually synchronising, in order to wind up with Magelo profiles that are still significantly wrong.
Milander

Nbr post: 5
Register: 1/11/02
Posted: 5/31/08, 7:06 AM

As far as I know, there were no polls to ask people whether or not they wanted to change to an "updated" program. Personally, I was quite happy with the Magelo Update program. It wasn't a resource hog. It updated my profiles so that I can link them in my sigs and that's that.

I am yet another person that boxes on my computer. I have had my magelo account for a very, very long time...maybe not paid that whole time, but I've still been here nonetheless (in fact, out of the folks in this thread, I'm the oldest - except for Jelan, who works here).

Personally, I want the old program reinstated.

Thank you

Valiant Milander Truewield
High Priest Camien Ta`Mire
Forest Scion Azer Stormseeker
rhys

Nbr post: 7
Register: 5/20/02
Posted: 5/31/08, 7:19 AM

I'm another subscriber who boxes multiple accounts on one PC.

The ability to synchronise all three accounts is important to me. The old system wasn't perfect, but by and large it made keeping my three accounts up to date on Magelo a painless process. Without the ability to do that I do not believe that I would be renewing my subscription.

This post isn't intended as a 'throwing my rattle out of the pram' response to the new update client. I see a lot of improvement in the new client, however with the loss of what is to me a core function I can only hope that Magelo reconsider their decision to drop support for one-system boxers.

Durmel

Nbr post: 4
Register: 3/30/08
Posted: 5/31/08, 9:06 AM

I miss being able to play all day long - log in an alt here and there - and then just press sync and have all chars from all accounts synced at once. No fancy search or WoW-kiddy-blah-blah. And even syncing one char at the time doesn't work correctly atm, especially the levels aren't synced correctly.

I miss the old client.
LadyGray

Nbr post: 2
Register: 5/13/04
Posted: 5/31/08, 10:18 AM

I'm another premium user that runs 2 accounts simultaneously on the same computer. The ability to synch both accounts at once is important to me as my toons are tradeskillers. Most of my tradeskill supplies are stored on 2nd account, and the 2nd account is rarely used alone. Loss of this functionality is going to cripple my ability to locate my supplies quickly.

Please reconsider your decision to eliminate this feature.
baody

Nbr post: 36
Register: 1/22/04
Posted: 5/31/08, 11:31 AM

You can't anymore, given it's really rare to run multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, we decided to drop this functionality for a simpler user interface.

I don't know who told you this but it's just plan wrong. Pretty much everyone I know runs multiple accounts on their computer at least occasionally. Many do it every time they play. In fact I think it's probably rarer to use multiple accounts from different physical boxes.

Cerrena Sweetbuns - Halfling Warrior-Baker