Login / Sign up
> > > $24.95???

Messages in topic: $24.95???
Charron

Nbr post: 6
Register: 5/25/03
Posted: 11/17/06, 5:30 PM

"btw my offer still stands, build your own magelo system, and keep it free. Then come complain."

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Might as well start calling this Monopogelo. Charge whatever the hell you want when people don't have a choice.

I like the comment on the sweet spot BS. So you are doing some 1st year cacl profit max functions on us now.. making sure you can make the MOST?

I would really be curious at how much money was made off the old price. Not once have I seen a rep from the site say they had to raise prices to cover server costs, or site costs, or anything. Sounds like your mostly interested in making a buck and willing to shaft the people that paved the way for you to even be here right now in the process.

Thanks for piggy backing off the EQ community to cover your dev costs so you can finally cash in off WoW after 2 years.

I don't recall anyone asking for this new fubar magelo system. The old one worked fine. It looked like EQ. It was for a fair price. Now you force site changes on everyone. You try and claim you some professional site and then do some completing crap cut over with little foresight to testing. It is a good thing you are not in the business of coding medical software or I guess people would just have to pay more to live, except those few that bothered to die beta testing your new profit margins.

Seems to me competition has lacked for far too long. Maybe 10 grand up front investment to Lavish to code up an alternative would get the ball rolling. Shouldn't be too hard to raise the cash since 9 out of 10 people I talk to are not renewing magelo.

P.S. God forbid you put the servers in the states where most your customers are.
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 11/17/06, 6:17 PM

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Might as well start calling this Monopogelo. Charge whatever the hell you want when people don't have a choice.

It's not like we ever took over competition that existed, or that we ever prevented our competition from getting foothold by holding them down, either ... and there is an alternative in existense even today: EQPlayers.

Enjoy!
Nilolen

Nbr post: 2
Register: 3/30/04
Posted: 11/18/06, 5:32 PM

If you folks think this is expensive for the premium services then shut it, don't use it and do everything manually. 24.95$ is not expensive a year. Hell if any of you guys know how much work and time it takes to debug bugs, recode scripts for EQ patches and autosync etc then you will see 12.95$ a year was way too cheap. So what if you can't autosync as many characters. Do it manually then, it takes less than 20 mins. I'm sure if you can go LFG for 20 mins you can spend 20 mins doing this WHILE LFG. Stop complaining that the price is too high. You don't like it don't purchase and use their server / services. With the new site and new magelo up and running I'm sure it costs the Magelo staff even more to maintain this site and its services.

So its very simple, you don't like the new rate, zip it and don't pay and do it maunally or go to EQ Players and pay their fee monthly or this which is more than Magelo.

Btw someone mentioned they they autosync their characters just to look at their magelo. Well if you only do that then go to EQ Players. Only thing is you can't click and see any of the items you use unless you subscribe. Where as magelo you can and you can do it manually if you're not lazy.
Danille

Nbr post: 24
Register: 4/3/03
Posted: 11/19/06, 10:09 AM

Anyone telling us not to complain is an idiot!

By complaining, we are giving the owners of the website the opportunity to do something about it because we are pissed off.

If they care more about their base than making 150% more they will listen and make some compromises.

Numerous posters in this thread have posted such compromises so we will see if they do anything or if they just don't care beyond the almighty $$$$$.

A far worse thing we could do is to just go away. It is a courtsey for us to complain!

I have little faith that they will change...thus my recent signature change and purchase of EQplayers.

sadwanderer

Nbr post: 20
Register: 6/28/04
Posted: 11/19/06, 11:56 AM

Seems as if the advisor Maurice needs some customer service classes instead of the we dont need your buisness.... comments. Additionally, Nilolen dont complain about those that pay for the service that have the right to complain about, when we, as premium users HAVE SUPPORTED magelo by paying before, I notice it says REGISTERED USER under your name. If its so cheap lets see you get yourself a PREMIUM USER tag......
Maurice
Advisor

Nbr post: 5271
Register: 11/14/01
Posted: 11/19/06, 1:32 PM

It's just that your comments are not constructive. I am pretty sure that Jelan and co are aware - and yes, they are making a decision which is also in their own benefit. If they wish to rise the price tenfold just to see how much they can rake in - then that's their choice.

To call it Monopogelo is absurd; we never actively took any action to monopolize it. If there's no competition for our product, then apparently no one else is able to rise up to the challenge to do so. And there are alternatives - EQPlayers is probably the most well-known among those.

As for my advice: I think it's actually more in your benefit than you realise; I'm telling you to find the product that suits you best. I am not selling you Magelo as being the best (I know it isn't, for everyone) - that advice stands loose from what we deliver. It's up to us to make you like Magelo above all other alternatives, not to force it down your throat and chain you to us, denying you to move over to the competition.

Our "battle" is not with the customers, but with the competition ... and depending on how well we do, we will also see the number of customers rise or fall.
Razimir

Nbr post: 3
Register: 8/7/02
Posted: 11/19/06, 7:39 PM

Yup, I've been a premium subscriber and not going to be anymore after the 25 $ price. Golden tag instead of silver and adding rankings will not make me pay more. I tought 12 $ was already too much, 5 $ would be about right for just for keeping few kb of data in your data base. Never asked the upgrade of the interface and the old one was just fine. You just can't raise the subcription fee without adding anything new or something to pay for. Well maybe you can... "it is not an idiot who asks more, but the one who pays it".

-Razi
paulorr

Nbr post: 92
Register: 3/8/05
Posted: 11/19/06, 9:04 PM

I really can't believe so many people have moaned about this because it isn't going to change.

You are ether going to pay it or your not and if not thats your choice why spend time moaning about it knowing full well it isn't going to change cause you moan about it.

My susgestion is you all decide on what you want to do and then quit wasting peoples time!
Senyens

Nbr post: 246
Register: 7/25/02
Posted: 11/20/06, 10:05 AM

I started to use Magelo back when it was still new and not widely used. I loved it then when it was free. When they started the $12 charge in 2002 I paid it gladly. I quit EQ last year but still paid my $12 cause I kept waiting for the WoW support. $24.95 a year is not bad really for all the features you get but most never use. I was in a top guild I had tons of mana/hp and knew I was ranked high cause others told me I didn't care it was a game and was fun not a fight to be #1. This might be the only site for EQ but I dont see people like myself who play WoW coming to pay 24.95 for something there is quite a bit of free places to get the same information with profiles. I honestly dont see why it has taken Magelo 2 years to even get a WoW profile template up there is numerous sites with less resources that have very good ones. Even Allakhazam's WoW Profiles are free and they love their money. There is a few where you can have alt profiles and resist sets and so on so forth. So no offense and I always liked and used Magelo but might want to open a new site for WoW profiles cause your about 2 years to late and people are not going to pay this price when they can go elsewhere and get the same features for free. Don't get me wrong the Magelo features are great sure there is a spell database but its just names of spells we still always went elsewhere to find out where they was sold/quested. Items are nice and needed to update your profile but once again we always had to go elsewhere to find out where they dropped. Rankings are fun too if you like that sort of thing. Magelo is good and if it had stayed $12 I would have gladly paid it again to support Jelan and the cost but its not $24.95 good. I know most will stay and pay and thats good cause those that stay might offset the cost of the ones you lose.
Dyfrin Deathseeker

Nbr post: 91
Register: 10/31/01
Posted: 11/21/06, 11:12 AM

I just got paid $25 bucks for fixing ad-aware and showing someone how to use firefox 2.0, and explain what DSL is that they have hooked up. Amazingly it took less than 40 mins.

But you guys are right, It is such a rip off to pay 25 bucks for a full year of hosting and synchronizing, and data mining, isn't it?

Unless you all are on welfare or paraplegic, I can't see how 25 dollars a YEAR is unreachable to the point of spending hours complaining.

[Dyfrin|javascript:channelProfile("eq",26510)]
Half-Elf Lyricist
Nandail

Nbr post: 10
Register: 11/8/01
Posted: 11/21/06, 2:17 PM

Danille,

Why can't I see all the items in your profile...

Switch to EQPlayers if you want, but most players won't look at it, because you can't actually see what someone has unless you are a subscriber.

That's sort of the point of the profiler, to be able to see what someone has. WIthout needing to pay extra money.

Magelo is a great deal at 24 a year. EQPlayers is a rippoff at 12 a year.
Danille

Nbr post: 24
Register: 4/3/03
Posted: 11/21/06, 6:33 PM

The post above is inaccurate.

You can see everything in a player's profile that is linked through the eqlite number I have in my signature below with or without an EQplayers subscription.

Just click on the item and the item window opens below the profile. Doh!

Get your facts straight

Neither website is low IQ proof though!

moklianne

Nbr post: 127
Register: 8/25/02
Posted: 11/21/06, 8:39 PM

Senyens' post hit the nail on the head for me.

Personally, I can't see spending this much money for an optional service anymore. The service is worth $10 or $12 a year to me. There will be many others that feel the same way, but I'm sure those who stay will offset the revenue lost by those who leave. So, Magelo will still come out on top.

You can try to rationalize the figures all you want. You can insult us by calling us paraplegics or on welfare, but the fact remains that Magelo no longer serves as a value to many people anymore. I would imagine that for most, its the fact that it broke the $20 price range. It would have fared better if the cost was changed to $19.99. Just an observation, may have helped, may have not. /shrug

In any case, I'll say it again. Best wishes to the Magelo team, its a great product.

Moklianne -Magelo
paradisel

Nbr post: 13
Register: 3/12/02
Posted: 11/22/06, 3:06 AM

Why not just offer the old interface for the original price? I'm more then happy with the original interface.

Frankly 25.00 to be able to post a link is kinda, well no is completely out there. Lets face it all magelo is, is a link you put in your sig on msg boards. The rankings are nice but they aren't be all end all because they are only of magelo users. While I'm not impressed with eqplayers their rankings are accurate.

The new interface is great, it really looks good, but it isn't worth 25.00. Course if 25.00 was lifetime membership that'd be one thing.
Kaliaila

Nbr post: 66
Register: 12/23/02
Posted: 11/22/06, 3:55 AM

For what MOST people use Magelo for EQplayers is now cheaper, for some it is almost 1/2 as much to get an EQplayers account than it is to get one from Magelo to do the same thing. Only when you add in the extras does EQplayers pass Magelo in cost and then you at least get a place to store screenshot too.

You guys need to realize you need to compromise and offer an midway point along the lines of what I and others have already suggested. And to the people who say stop whining, LOL. You need to get it thru your head that this is not whining, but instead it is the action of concerned consumers that a company is making a grievous and 100% avoidable error, and these consumers wish to show them this concern and give them options they apparently haven't considered (and apparently still refuse to).

And Maurice you are wrong. The current battle going in in this thread is ONLY with your customers and has nothing at all to do with your competition. EQplayers could not even exist and the same battle would be occuring. Also there have been SEVERAL constructive options offerred by us but you and yours apparently have refused to consider them in favor of getting more money.